Tabard failed to capitalise on early pressure as they suffered a 28-14 defeat to rivals Harpenden in London League Two North West.

The opening quarter belonged to the visitors who pegged Harpenden back in their own 22 and came close to scoring several times but they just could not penetrate the defence and the necessary points did not come.

Harpenden then broke out and from a scrum in the Tabard half the ball was quickly passed out to wing Musket who penetrated the Tabard defence to touch down for a well-taken try.

Two minutes later, Tabard were caught flat footed again and this time the Harpenden centre, Humphrey, went over for the try after some slick passing.

This was then followed up with a penalty from stand off Tennant, after Tabard were caught offside.

Tabard went back to their steady game and were again in a promising position when a loose pass was intercepted by Musket who ran three-quarters the length of the pitch to score. Just before half-time, Musket again wrought havoc on the Tabard defence with another break and this time, as he was mauled down, he gave the scoring pass to full-back Kearns for the final try of the half to give them a 23-0 lead.

After the break it was a similar story with Tabard capitalising on their strength up front and pushing the hosts back for long periods, while Harpenden were always looking dangerous on the counter attack.

A long period of Tabard pressure on the Harpenden line was finally rewarded with a penalty try after Harpenden had repeatedly fouled in the set scrum. Stand off Jack Reilly converted. Tabard’s full-back Steve Jenkins was then clear for a try but the referee ruled that the scoring pass had gone forward.

Midway through the half Harpenden again broke through and this time, although the ball appeared to have been knocked on in a repeated fumble play, Humphrey went over for his second try.

With ten minutes left on the clock Tabard then scored again.

This time it was their turn to run from deep as Reilly made the initial break and centre Tryfan Edwards took the scoring pass for the converted try. In other action, Tabard Seconds beat Enfield 20-17. Tabard are home to Stevenage this weekend.