Boreham Wood manager Ian Allinson still feels he is one or two players away from having “a really good squad” despite seeing his side climb up to second in the Conference South.

Wood’s excellent start to the season continued with a dramatic 3-1 comeback victory at Sutton United on Monday.

The result took Allinson’s side to ten points from five games and the team have the best goal difference in the division.

But Allinson is still on the lookout to strengthen his squad.

The Wood boss told the club website: “This performance will give me a selection headache for Saturday, yet I feel we are still one or two players short of a really good squad.”

The visitors had to come from behind late on during the second half against a side that are one of the favorites for the title.

Matty Whichelow got his first start of the season and made a significant impact with his pace a constant problem for United.

The attacker’s early cross after just three minutes troubled the hosts but was cleared off the line.

Sutton’s first opportunity fell to Jessy Reindorf but he fired over the crossbar from close range.

Visiting keeper James Russell was required to make an important save when he managed to prevent Reindorf from scoring.

Wood went close again when Graeme Montgomery set up Ricky Shakes but his header was cleared off the line by a defender.

United threatened again when the home side attacked down the right and Jamie Taylor fired his effort narrowly across the goal.

Home keeper Alan Julian was required to make a decent save when Matt Lockwood slipped up and Lee Angol raced through on goal.

Whichelow went close for Allinson’s side after the restart but the former Watford youngster could only fire his strike over the crossbar.

Sutton finally made the breakthrough in the 74th minute when Russell missed a corner from the right and Louis John took full advantage to head home.

It was almost 2-0 when Callum Reynolds slipped and Taylor was through but he was denied by a crucial save from Russell.

This gave the visitors a lifeline and they punished Sutton with an 83rd minute equaliser.

Substitute Austin Lipman sent in a free-kick and Josh Hill managed to send a header into the net.

Wood sensed they could grab a late winner and were denied when John blocked an effort by Angol.

Russell was called into action twice during the five minutes of injury time but the drama was still to come.

Whichelow launched a counter-attack and released Lipman. He raced past a couple of defenders before firing into the bottom corner of the net in the 93rd minute.

There was still time for Allinson’s side to add a third goal when Angol picked up the ball outside the box and found the net to complete a memorable fightback.

Allinson said: “We came under pressure and conceded after dominating play for periods.

“I was disappointed to go behind, but the response from the players was fantastic.”

He added: “It was a tough call to leave Austin out, but I felt we would not be given time to get the ball into feet.

“Matthew Whichelow has been unfortunate to be left on the bench and he delivered.

“I have seen what Austin can do coming off the bench for Arsenal and his goal was quality. Lee Angol also deserves credit for his contribution.

“We need to stop making the little mistakes that lead to goals as this is an extremely tough league and you get easily punished.”

It was Wood’s fourth point of the Bank Holiday weekend as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Bromley on Saturday.

The hosts came close to beating one of the title favourites as only a 79th minute equaliser pegged them back.

Wood made a bright start and almost took the lead after keeper Seb Brown was forced to save a deflected shot from Graeme Montgomery.

Their pressure was almost rewarded with the opening goal ten minutes before the break but Brown kept out an effort from Lipman.

The breakthrough arrived after 54 minutes when the ball fell to Montgomery and he struck a stunning volley from 20 yards past the helpless keeper.

It was Montgomery’s fourth goal in as many games and appeared to have set them on their way to three points.

But Bromley responded strongly to falling behind and started to put the hosts under pressure.

Moses Ademola sent in the cross which was dived on by Russell. But he could not hold onto the ball and Danny Waldren took full advantage by firing home their equaliser.

Allinson’s side host bottom side Bath City this weekend. 

Wood will be strong favourites to defeat a side that have picked up just one point this season.