11:07am Friday 20th December 2013
By Ruth Halkon
Elstree Studios could become the permanent home of Strictly Come Dancing after the managing director vowed to do all he can to keep the hit BBC One show in Borehamwood.
The flagship dance show has been transferred to the town while work is carried out on Television Centre at White City.
The west London studios will be back in action in 2015, but Roger Morris believes it would be very “tempting” for BBC executives to keep the show where it is.
He said: “Even when the renovation of Television Centre is complete, the stages in the studios will be comparatively small.
“The key for all television programmes is finding the best place for it to be filmed to benefit the show and increase its value, popularity and the size of the audience.
“At Elstree Studios we have arguably the best large television production stages in the UK.
The BBC has seen what the show can look like on a larger stage and it will be tempting for them to keep it here.
“We have very close links with the BBC and I’m very optimistic.”
Mr Morris said being involved with Strictly Come Dancing had been a “fantastic” experience both for the studios and the town.
He added: “I have to admit I’m a bit of a Strictly fan.
“The show looks wonderful and it’s been a privilege to see how the dancers have developed over the course of the series.
“Strictly has a fanatical following from every age group. People have been getting dressed up in all weathers and queuing from 10am.
“It’s brought a lot of people to the town who probably hadn’t heard of Borehamwood before and given them a chance to discover what we have to offer.”
A BBC spokeswoman said it was "far too early to tell" whether Strictly Come Dancing would remain at the studios or would return to its orignal home.
She added: “This series of Strictly Come Dancing has been fantastic, everything has been very successful and we couldn’t be happier with the way things have gone at Elstree Studios.”
The curtain will fall on Strictly Come Dancing tomorrow, but Mr Morris said the studios would continue to be a hive of activity.
He said: “As well as Strictly we have the flagship shows for ITV and Channel Five, with Dancing on Ice and Celebrity Big Brother coming back next year.
“Dancing on Ice will be spectacular as all the stars of past series are being reunited, and Big Brother remains very popular, bringing in huge audiences.
He added half of the Mound at the back of the studios had already been removed, meaning capacity would increase by a quarter.
He said: “We’re really going from strength to strength.”
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group