Boreham Wood 2
Watford 5
Pre season friendly

Two fantastically taken first-half goals from the Boreham Wood striker Darrell Cox stunned Premiership new boys Watford and fired the home side into an unlikely 2-0 half-time lead against a side containing seven first-choice players.

It was an opening half of pure fantasy football from the part-timers. The Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd commented after the game: "I cannot remember a side playing around us and hurting us like that. I had to fire up my players at half time which is a testament to what Boreham Wood has achieved."

However, a substantial increase in pace led to a second-half goal blitz from the Hornets that was to turn the outcome of the game on its head.

But before that there was a first half to savour for Wood fans, who were dwarfed in numbers by a large visiting contingent. Andre Delisser won a corner which Chris Watters guided onto the head of Cox who directed the ball past visiting keeper Scott Loach, catching the defence out cold in under three minutes.

Wood went on to prove this was no fluke, with Tommy Williams unleashing a 25-yard power drive that further tested the 18-year-old signing from Lincoln City. The early goal settled nerves and gave Steve Cook's side the confidence to control the pace of the game, stunning the crowd of 800 at Meadow Park.

Cox struck again after 17 minutes with a finish that had journalists from the national press scrambling for information about the player's career.

Williams drove in a free kick from the right, which deflected across the goalmouth via Chris Bangura. It fell perfectly for Cox who volleyed home a superb left-footed effort in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

Wood continued until the half-time interval, scarcely putting a foot wrong. Michael Cox was again outstanding in defence, while Delisser played with a passion that spread throughout the side.

Watford emerged for the second half having made just one change and took Wood apart with three goals inside the first ten minutes.

Marlon King shot just wide before Leon Archer outpaced the veteran defender Chris Powell down the right to earn a corner. The resultant clearance was a long crossfield ball out to Hameur Bouazza on the left flank. The speed of the counter attack left Wood flat-footed, with Ashley Young on hand to bury Bouazza's cross at the far post.

Two minutes later it was 2-2. Young's deep delivery from the left found King outside the far post who headed back into danger allowing Tamas Priskin to finish from close range. The Hornets surged ahead just three minutes later. Al Bangura's long ball found Priskin who fed King out wide. His chipped ball into danger was headed home by Bouazza.

Wood's fortunes were not helped by an injury to Cox who failed to return from receiving treatment.

Boothroyd introduced three more of his big guns in the shape of club captain Gavin Mahon, Anthony McNamee and Darius Henderson, who took less than a minute to add his name to the list of scorers, exploiting acres of space to turn home a left-wing cross.

With ten minutes remaining substitute Claude Sianla beat three Wood players with artistic footwork, his diligence and flair allowing Pristin to claim his second of the game.

Cook said: "The way we kept our shape in the first half was extremely pleasing. We take to the field as a team and there are no egos in the dressing room."

Boreham Wood: Imber, M Cox (Hewitt 64), Moran, Williams (O'Brien 78), Smith, Samuel, Delisser (Morgan 45), D Cox ( Allinson 58 (Burrows 88)), Bangura (Black 45), Archer, Watters.Watford: Loach (Lee 45), Doyley (Chambers 76), Powell (Stewart 73), Mackay (Mariappa 76), Bangura, DeMerit (Blizzard 76), Young (Sianla 66), Spring (Mahon 66), King (Henderson 66), Priskin (Forrester 80), Bouazza (McNamee 66).

Goals: Boreham Wood: D Cox 3,17.

Watford: Young 49, Priskin 51, 80, Bouazza 54, Henderson 67.