Elliott Star (0) 0, Kings Langley (0) 4, Herts County Premier Division.

League leaders Kings Langley triumphed in this double header last weekend thanks to their superior fitness and stamina.

Plucky Star made early inroads in the first match thanks to James O'Connell, who fired over from the left wing. While his shot struck the crossbar, it certainly shook up Langley's keeper.

Star continued to seek scoring opportunities with Kevin Cooper forcing a corner which Danny Plumb took.

And though the keeper initially made a hash of intercepting Plumb's effort, he eventually managed to knock it clear.

Danny Wicks snatched the clearance from 20 yards and delivered a cross which Ross Griggs should have bundled in.

The game was deadlocked 0-0 by the break but Star had shone the brighter during the first half.

In the opening minute of the second half, Star's keeper Terry Mason made a cracking save to deny Langley from taking the lead. Moments later, Mason intercepted another Langley effort.

At the other end, a Star counter-attack resulted in O'Connell blasting at the keeper, who intercepted his shot.

Elliotts replaced Danny Plumb with Bradley Anderson late on, before Gavin Day saved Star's bacon, by preventing Langley's number six from netting.

Both sides went into the second game goalless, but that rapidly changed. The league leaders' number eight slipped through Star's rearguard to slot the ball home in the second minute.

Fighting back, Elliotts's Stu Love sent a superb ball to the far post where Matt Jones was on hand, but he was unable to finish.

Star stalwart Cooper fired an effort which bounced off a mass of bodies on the goalline but refused to go in.

After the break Star replaced Matt Howard with Danny Wicks in a bid to freshen things up, but Kings Langley took no notice, and netted their second goal.

Minutes later, Elliotts keeper Mason prevented the table toppers from extending their lead further, when he mounted a great save.

Star made two more substitutions as the half continued, Matt Lennon came on for Love and Tommy McKinnie replaced Plumb.

A 30-yard lob from James O'Connell, which left the keeper stranded, looked set to reduce Star's deficit but went over the bar.

The final four minutes saw Kings Langley cement their lead at 4-0 with two strikes delivered in rapid succession. A Star spokesman, who was impressed with Langley's greater level of fitness, said: "They deserve to be league leaders."

Star's league programme continues this Saturday with an away game at Sun Sports in Watford.

* Elliotts are holding a fundraising disco at Boreham Wood FC on Saturday, February 10 at 7.30pm. Tickets £5 on the door.