Boreham Wood registered their first victories since the opening day of the season to make it an impeccable Bank Holiday weekend with maximum points from their games against FC Halifax Town and Maidstone United.

They had to come from behind in both, demonstrating the sort of character that would doubtlessly have pleased manager Luke Garrard as the Wood rise to 12th in the National League table.

An excellent first-half performance at Maidstone’s Gallagher Stadium on Monday went unrewarded, and the Wood would go in behind when Jack Paxman netted against the run of play in first-half stoppage time with a sweetly struck effort via the underside of the crossbar.

Wood began the second half well though, and were on the front foot so it seemed inevitable they would force a leveller soon rather than later.

It arrived thanks to a piece of individual brilliance from winger Angelo Balanta who curled a superb free-kick past Lee Worgan on the hour mark after the Colombian had himself been fouled.

Sensing the opportunity to notch up six points from a possible six, Garrard instructed his Wood players to push forward and they were rewarded when the impressive Josh Umerah added his third goal of the weekend.

With five minutes to play, the 21-year-old forward picked up the ball on the edge of the box, turned and fired low past Worgan to secure another hard-fought win.

On Saturday, they left it late to battle back to beat one of the early season pacesetters, Halifax, at Meadow Park.

The West Yorkshire side took a 70th-minute lead courtesy of veteran defender Nathan Clarke, who beat his marker to head home from a Ben Tomlinson corner.

However, Wood’s response was as immediate as it was emphatic, and they might have levelled sooner had Keiran Murtagh’s fizzing 25-yard effort not been kept out by an excellent reaction save from Sam Johnson.

They didn’t have long to wait as it turned out following good approach play by Murtagh and Ricky Shakes, and it was the latter who turned provider with a teasing cross that was finished by Charlton loanee Umerah for his first Wood goal.

With the hosts on top but the game headed for a draw, midfielder Tom Champion was dramatically hauled down in the area and Umerah stepped up to score his and Wood’s second from the spot to complete the turnaround.