Macauley Bonne saw a late goal chalked off as Leyton Orient were held to a goalless draw by Boreham Wood at Brisbane Road.

The Orient striker had the ball in the net with 10 minutes to play, only for the referee to blow up for a foul on Wood keeper Grant Smith.

Wood had the better of the first half and could easily have led after striking the bar before the O's grew into the game after the interval.

The point against a Wood side chasing a play-off spot is a welcome one and Orient will hope to take the confidence gained into a FA Trophy clash with Bognor Regis Town next week.

Justin Edinburgh opted to name new loan signings Lamar Reynolds and Dan Holman on the bench for the visit of eighth-placed Wood.

He made two changes from the side which drew 0-0 with Dagenham & Redbridge as Jobi McAnuff and Matt Harrold came in.

There was no place in the squad for Josh Koroma, despite the youngster impressing in recent appearances.

Having lost just once in their last five outings, the O’s had every right to come into the game in confident mood.

Their start provided further evidence of their growing belief as McAnuff called Smith into action with a free-kick inside two minutes.

It would be Wood who would have the best chance of the opening exchanges, however, and they would have led but for a fine intervention from Dean Brill.

The goalkeeper-coach has been an ever-present between the sticks since Edinburgh took over and showed excellent reactions to keep Alex Davey’s effort from six yards out.

Orient responded well and Smith had to be equally alert to keep out Alex Lawless’ low drive from the edge of the box as he got down well to get a strong hand to the ball.

McAnuff was having a growing influence on proceedings and went close once again as he drove down the left flank, cut inside and curled an effort a yard wide.

When Wood did come forward they showed some neat touches in and around the box, and a delicate flick around the corner from Angelo Balanta presented an opening for Bruno Andrade after 20 minutes.

The striker’s strike was a powerful one but he could only direct it straight at Brill who stood up well to parry the effort away.

Balanta was inches from breaking the deadlock 10 minutes later after Kieran Murtagh created an opening with a burst down the right side.

After breezing past Joe Widdowson, the Wood number 10 pulled an inviting pass back to the edge of the six-yard box which picked out Balanta.

His effort had Brill well beaten in the O’s goal but rattled off the crossbar and away to safety as parity remained.

Wood could, and probably should, have gone in with a 1-0 lead at the half-time interval after once again finding joy down the Orient left.

Andrade was at the heart of the attack once more and sent in a low cross for Ricky Shakes who was unmarked some six yards from goal.

He failed to make a solid connection and Brill, who was falling backwards, just managed to keep the ball out as it looked to trickle under his body and over the line.

While Orient were fortunate to be level at the break, they started the second half well and a clipped ball into the box from James Dayton almost provided the go-ahead goal.

Smith was unable to claim the high ball under pressure from Bonne and spilled possession into a dangerous area.

Harrold was ready to pounce but saw the ball cleared away as he set himself to fire into the vacated net.

Dayton had a golden chance to give the home side the lead with just over 15 minutes to play as an ill-advised pass across the face of goal took Smith out of the game.

With the whole of the goal to aim at, Dayton could only sky a first time effort well over the bar from 20 yards to spare Tom Champion’s blushes.

In Dayton’s defence the chance fell to his weaker right side, but he should still have had the quality and composure to put Edinburgh’s men ahead.

New man Reynolds was given a chance to impress with a late cameo and almost marked his debut with a fortuitous goal as his strike from range deflected and looped over the bar.

Orient had dominated the second period, but some lacklustre defending could have seen them surrender a share of the spoils late on.

A deep free-kick picked out the unmarked Davey on the penalty spot but he could only guide a free header wide of the mark.

There was still time for late controversy which saw Orient denied an 80th-minute winner after Bonne had put the ball in the net.

The chance came after a coming together between Smith and substitute David Mooney which saw the ball break to Bonne and he calmly slid into an empty net.

However, referee Samuel Allison judged Mooney to have fouled the Wood keeper and ruled the goal out.

It was as close as either side came to a winner on a day when a draw was fair result.