After being held to a 1-1 draw in the FA Trophy on Saturday, Boreham Wood required a penalty shootout to overcome Dartford on Tuesday night.

The National League South leaders were always likely to cause Wood some issues and proved to be a persistent threat when the sides first met.

Wood took the lead through Ricky Shakes’ 56th minute strike, only for Tom Murphy to hit back for Dartford and take the tie to a replay.

Tuesday was a similarly tight affair and Wood were made to battle as they twice went behind and levelled late in the game.

Luke Garrard’s side saw much of the ball in the early exchanges but failed to turn their dominance into a regular supply of chances.

Kane Smith had their clearest sight of goal when a cross from Shakes was partially cleared and he crashed a shot wide.

Grant Smith then saved Tom Champion’s blushes when he smartly saved the Wood man’s misplaced header..

Angelo Balanta had the best chance of the first half, but saw his fierce shot well saved ahead of the interval.

Dartford opened the scoring in the second half when Ryan Hayes picked up possession and hit an unstoppable drive beyond Smith.

Wood were struggling to get back into the game but grabbed an equaliser with 17 minutes to play thanks to Andrade’s long-range strike.

Parity didn’t last long, though, as Danny Mills reacted quickest to turn past Smith after a ricochet in the box.

Wood’s chances of salvaging a result from the game looked to be dissipating, but 10 minutes of added time gave them renewed hope.

They needed every second of it to find a second equaliser, which arrived thanks to Shaun Jeffers scored from close range.

With extra-time providing no more goals, the game went to the lottery of penalties and Smith would become the hero.

He saved three of Dartford’s four efforts from 12 yards to ensure Wood eased to a 3-1 shootout win.

Victory means Wood can now plan for a second round away clash with Gateshead or Guiseley who were preparing to face off in a replay at the time of going to press. The tie will be played on Saturday, January 6.