Luke Garrard was full of praise for his Boreham Wood side’s spirit after they claimed an impressive 4-2 win over Torquay United on Tuesday.

The Wood moved into a 2-0 lead as goals from Angelo Balanta and Bruno Andrade saw them take control of proceedings early in the second half.

United hit back to level, however, and it was the determination shown by his side to claim all three points which pleased Garrard.

“To go 2-0 up and then go 2-2, with a crowd of 2,000 behind the home team, I felt they would go on and get the win,” Garrard told the club website.

“The fact we bounced back immediately shows the character we have in the group and the belief we have in the group.

“I believe what we have done this evening will cause some other teams problems as well.”

Garrard’s men enjoyed the better of a goalless first half and kept the hosts on the back foot for much of the first 45 minutes.

They failed to make the most of their dominance, though, and wasted a number of good attacking positions, particularly from set-pieces.

United started the second period in the ascendency, but were soon behind when Balanta pinched possession in the final third and finished with aplomb.

Andrade took similar advantage of another defensive slip to double the lead, before Torquay scored twice in quick succession to level.

Wood were presented with a golden chance to re-establish their lead when a United man hauled down Shaun Jeffers in the box.

However, Balanta was denied by a fine stop from the United keeper to maintain parity.

The setback did little to dent Wood’s confidence and they continued to push forward in search of a go-ahead goal and were rewarded through Jeffers.

He lost his marker and headed a looping header in and Badley Sach sealed the win a fierce strike.

The Wood’s second half showing pleased Garrard, who feels his side are showing the benefits of a successful pre-season.

He said: “I believe we are a very fit squad. The baseline fitness is there from what we did in pre-season.

“I think we will see that throughout the remainder of the season.

“You look at all the performances and we get stronger in the second half. It is credit to the lads that we do that.”

Tuesday’s victory continues a fine run of form for the Meadow Park club, which saw them in free-scoring form during a 4-1 win over Solihull Moors on Saturday.

Paul Benson provided the standout moment of the match with a stunning overhead kick to score Wood’s third in the second half.

Wood didn’t have it all their own way and went behind before Jamie Turley levelled the scores in the 32nd minute.

Andrade gave Wood the lead with 38 minutes played and Benson struck his wonder goal just before half-time to put them in control.

With a lead to defend, the second half was far quieter than the first, but Wood still extended their lead through Balanta.

Wood face Aldershot Town in their next game on Friday.