They may have required a replay to do so, but Boreham Wood can begin to prepare for an FA Trophy quarter-final after thrashing Sutton united 5-0.

Having been held to a goalless draw at Gander Green Lane on Saturday, Wood were in ruthless form on Tuesday night to set up a last eight tie with Lincoln City.

A brace from Kenny Davis added to strikes from Angelo Balanta, Morgan Ferrier and Anthony Jeffrey to seal the comprehensive victory.

Luke Garrard’s side started brightly and were ahead through Balanta after five minutes before Davis’ first made it 2-0 at half-time.

They continued to dominate after the break and Ferrier, Jeffrey and Davis sealed the resounding win.

Wood have struggled to find the net regularly this season and their clinical edge in front of goal understandably delighted Garrard.

“It was huge to take our opportunities. We had moments on Saturday that we didn’t take but we did this evening,” Garrard said.

“We broke with real pace and when we got into the final third, I felt we were clinical and you can see that with the chances we have created and the goals we scored.

“I am very pleased. Coming after Saturday, with them going down to nine-men and us not finishing it off, to take the second opportunity was very pleasing.

“Scoring five goals was huge.”

The improved ruthlessness was no surprise for Garrard and comes as the result of work on the training ground.

“We worked on a session yesterday about getting balls wide and getting balls into the box with intent,” he said.

“The players showed that tonight with an energy and I felt Kenny Davis arriving in the box was fantastic.”

The victory sets up a tough task in the quarter-finals for Wood as they take on National League pace setters Lincoln City at Meadow Park.

The Imps are three points clear at the top of the National League table, having played a game less than second place Dagenham & Redbridge.

They booked their progress in the FA Trophy with a comfortable 3-1 away win over Welling United.