Boreham Wood retured back to Hertfordshire with a well-deserved point following a 1-1 draw at Barrow in a sun-drenched Cumbria.

Despite having much of the ball and the best chances Luke Garrard’s men look destined to lose their unbeaten away record after Matt Paine had fouled Byron Harrison in the box, and the Barrow man duly converted from the spot sending Grant Smith the wrong way. However right on cue, Morgan Ferrier popped up to head home from six yards out from a Ricky Shakes cross to the send the 26 visiting supporters home happy.

Garrard kept the same starting XI which won 2-0 at Dagenham & Redbridge the previous Saturday, although there was a return to the bench for Anthony Jeffrey after injury.

Alex-Ray Harvey had the host’ first chance of the game after a long ball into the box was not cleared, but Smith was equal to it, smothering the ball into his midriff.

A nice understanding is forming between the forward players and Ferrier and Angelo Balanta combined well with the former shooting straight at the keeper.

Richard Bennett struck wide after a Harrison cross was only half cleared. Moments later Danny Woodards was booked after a late tackle on Jordan Williams.

Smith saved well from a corner, then Richard Bennett’s effort was well wide after Moussa Diarra kept the ball alive at the back post.

Joe Devera then came to the rescue after Bennett eased past Matt Paine. He burst into the box firing at Smith, who saved well with Devera heading off the line.

Ferrier, who was a menace all afternoon to the home defence, picked the ball up, turned his man. He fed the ball wide to Conor Clifford who put a perfect ball into the box but no blue shirt was in sight to put the ball in the back of the net.

Clifford then forced a fine save from Joel Dixon, shooting with his left foot 20 yards from goal after a neat interchange with Kenny Davis.

Diarra had a great chance to give the hosts the lead when Jordan Willams crossed from the left but the big centre half couldn’t direct his header on target.

Then came the opening goal of the game. Harrison went away down the right and got to the by-line and after checking back, he was brought down by Paine. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and the frontman picked himself up to send Smith the wrong way.

Garrard immediately reacted to going behind replacing Aaron Kuhl with Anthony Jeffrey, and changing from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 formation.

Balanta had another deflected wide as the Wood continued to push forward for an equaliser.

Garrard shuffled his pack once more with ten minutes remaining, committing more men forward in a 3-5-2 shape and got his just rewards as the clock struck 90 minutes when Shakes, who was unmarked down the right, crossed perfectly for Ferrier to head home past Dixon.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Woodards, Ilesanmi, Payne, Devera, Clifford (Shakes), Kuhl (Jeffrey), Davis, Ricketts, Balanta, Ferrier. Substitutes not used: Boal, Uchechi, Moke.