A last-gasp Maidstone United winner saw Boreham Wood fall to just their second defeat of this fledgling National League season with the visitors running out undeserved 1-0 winners.

Stones centre-back Kevin Lokko bagged the late winner, controlling a free-kick deep into the Wood penalty area and screwing the ball across the face of goal and deceiving the hosts’ backline to win a contest low on chances.

Luke Garrard’s side had enjoyed the better of the game to that point with Kenny Davis hitting the bar and Angelo Balanta seeing a header brilliantly tipped over by Maidstone keeper Lee Worgan.

But it wasn’t to be and injury to Jordan Chiedozie, plus cramp for Balanta, only added the sense of disappointment at a sun-soaked Meadow Park on Bank Holiday Monday.

Garrard made four changes from the side which drew 3-3 at Gateshead on Saturday. Out went Danny Woodards, Ricky Shakes, Conor Clifford and Morgan Ferrier. In came Ben Nunn, Adriano Moke, Chiedozie and Aaron Kuhl.

Chiedozie, starting up front, and Kuhl were making the first starts for Wood with Moke restored on the right-hand side in place of Clifford. Shakes, withdrawn late on Saturday with an injury, was left out of the matchday squad altogether.

Stones boss Jay Saunders also rang the changes in his 300th match in charge, making three alterations to the side thumped 4-1 by Forest Green Rovers.

Dan Sweeney, Jack Paxman and Bobby-Joe Taylor dropped out. Their places were taken by Jamie Coyle, Tom Murphy and Reece Hall-Johnson.

Both sides struggled to create many first-half chances of note, but Boreham Wood went closest. Debutant Kuhl knocked the ball down for Balanta but he lashed over first time after 14 minutes.

Four minutes later the Colombian forward was at the centre of another Wood chance, collecting a quick free-kick out to the left-hand side. But the ex-Queens Parker Rangers hitman went for a shot at the near post – which Worgan had covered – instead of crossing.

The Stones’ best chance came when Ben Greenhalgh’s free-kick from the left was met by Coyle at the back post. He headed across the face of goal but with yellow shirts lurking, Wood cleared.

However, it was the visitors who went closest before the break. Alex Flisher, whose impact had been limited to long throws at this point, found some space 25 yards from goal and let fly forcing Grant Smith into a smart stop to his left.

The second half benefitted from more goalmouth action from the outset. After a minute free-kick reached Tom Murphy into the Wood penalty area and, after checking back onto his right foot, the Maidstone forward snatched at the chance and lashed over.

Wood went closer to breaking the deadlock after three second-half minutes. Ben Nunn crossed from the right for Balanta and he struck a firm shot which stung the palms of Worgan.

Midfielder Clifford, back on the bench for Wood, had been introduced during the first half when Chiedozie went off with injury. And the Dubliner tried his luck early in the second half with a firm drive which flashed wide.

Wood were by now enjoying their best period of the game and came closer still when Balanta met a Clifford cross from the left only to see his header turned over by Worgan. The resulting corner did not amount to anything but Wood still remained on top.

With 14 minutes remaining Boreham Wood hit the crossbar. A cross from the right was headed against the bar. With Worgan grounded the ball fell to Kuhl but he could not stab home.

Maidstone substitute Dumebi Dumaka had a rare chance for the visitors a minute later, meeting a free-kick with a deft header which Smith caught diving to his left.

With time running out Garrard introduced Ferrier for the limping Balanta. The big forward immediately cracked a low left-footed shot which Worgan did well to push away.

The stones responded with a substitute of their own, Dan Sweeney, heading over from a Flisher hurl into the penalty area.

It looked at that point as though neither side would find a way through. But, just as the fourth official signalled three additional minutes, that all changed.

Coyle launched a free-kick from deep in the Maidstone half towards Lokko at the back post. He controlled and lobbed the ball to the far post where Sweeney could not connect. However, the ball made contact with the post and bounced in instead to win it for the visitors.

Boreham Wood were unable to respond in the remaining minutes and will look for revenge at Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Smith; Nunn, Devera, Paine, Ilesanmi; Chiedozie (Clifford 34) Kuhl, Ricketts (c), Moke; Davis; Balanta (Ferrier 84).

Substitutes: Boal (GK), Woodards, Goodliffe.

Maidstone United: Worgan; Acheampong (Taylor 59), Coyle, Lokko; Hall-Johnson, Evans (Sweeney 72), Rogers (c), Greenhalgh (Dumaka 68), Mills; Murphy, Flisher.

Substitutes: Karagiannis, Richards.

Referee: Simon Barrow.

Attendance: 637 (314 away supporters).