A stunning Elliott Durrell strike from near the halfway line denied Boreham Wood a win they thoroughly deserved with Chester instead drawing 1-1 at Meadow Park.

Luke Garrard’s side went ahead after five minutes when Morgan Ferrier bustled past his marker and rifled home his first goal for the club from an acute angle. That looked to be enough to seal the win for the hosts.

However, in the 83rd minute Chester equalised out of nothing. Chester broke from a Wood and Durrell spotted keeper Grant Smith off his. He took aim and lobbed home from just inside the hosts’ half. It was an equaliser which Jon McCarthy’s side hadn’t merited and a cruel blow for Wood.

Garrard made two changes from the side beaten 1-0 by Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday. Ferrier was handed his first start in place of Conor Clifford who served a one-match ban for picking up two yellows against Tranmere.

That meant Angelo Balanta moving out to the left. Adriano Moke, who played on the left win in midweek, was in behind Ferrier as a number ten once more. At left-back Femi Ilesanmi made his debut in place of Danny Woodards.

Wood boss Garrard asked for a reaction following the midweek defeat to Tranmere. And that was exactly what he got as his side went in front after five minutes.

The ball was played into the edge of the penalty area where Ferrier span his marker before drilling precisely past Liam Roberts and into the far corner of the net from an acute angle.

Shortly after Ferrier dipped a low cross into the penalty area from the left but nobody was on the same wavelength and the chance was wasted.

With Bruno Andrade missing through injury, set pieces fell to Balanta and he came close to doubling the lead when he whipped a right-footed effort just over the bar with Roberts beaten.

Wood controlled the rest of the half, going closest to extending their lead when Balanta – a constant menace down the left-hand side – saw his cross turned over the bar by Ricky Shakes, who appeared to be caught out by the ball arriving at his feet.

Chester returned with renewed vigour after the break but still couldn’t find a way through Boreham Wood with both sides struggling to create goal-scoring opportunities.

The host came closest when a Balanta corner from the left fell to Matt Paine inside the six-yard box. But he side-footed into a covering Chester defender with the goal gaping.

A minute later Boreham Wood broke at pace with Ferrier leading the charge. However, he failed to get his head up and spot Balanta on the right and possession was squandered.

Even as Chester saw more of the ball, Wood looked to have done enough to get back to winning ways after the midweek defeat by Tranmere. But as long as the game remained 1-0 Chester still had a chance.

Craig Mahon, a late introduction to the starting XI in place of James Akintunde, finally worked Smith with ten minutes remaining.

A corner from the right was nodded across goal by Blaine Hudson and Mahon cracked a half-volley from outside the penalty area which required a fingertip stop from Smith down to his left.

Garrard’s men cleared and broke forward to earn a corner. However, Chester immediately countered and, out of nowhere, Durrell took aim and lobbed Smith to earn a point.

Boreham Wood travel to Gateshead next weekend looking to get back to winning ways (kick-off 3pm).

Boreham Wood: Smith; Nunn, Devera, Paine, Ilesanmi; Shakes, Ricketts (c), Davis (Kuhl 73), Balanta; Moke; Ferrier (Chiedozie 75).

Substitutes: Boal (GK), Woodards, Goodliffe.

Chester: Roberts; Vassell, Astles, Hudson, Horwood; Chappell (Durrell 73), Joyce, Shaw, Lloyd; Mahon; Richards (Hughes 86).

Substitutes: Worsnop (GK), Hunt.

Referee: Adrian Quelch.