Ricky Shakes left it late to rescue a point for Boreham Wood, equalising to secure a 1-1 draw at York City a minute after the hosts had dramatically taken the lead.

Simon Heslop’s 89th-minute strike looked as though it had cruelly ended Boreham Wood’s unbeaten start to the National League season.

However, 60 seconds later Shakes showed a cool head to bag a leveller and ensure Wood returned to Meadow Park with the very least they deserved for another strong all-round display.

Wood had arguably been the better of the two sides and would have felt hard done by if York snuck all three points, not least because substitute Morgan Ferrier appeared to have a perfectly good penalty appeal turned down after trying to round keeper Scott Flinders.

Garrard named the same side which won so handsomely at Dover Athletic in midweek after it was confirmed David Stephens had broken his metatarsal. Daniel Uchechi was also missing with injury.

That meant Danny Woodards at left-back once more and Joe Devera alongside Matt Paine in the centre of defence.

York boss Jackie McNamara set his side up in a 3-4-3 system with Clovis Kamdjo, impressive in Wood’s midfield last season, starting against his former club.

Wood had two former York players in their squad – attacking midfielder Adriano Moke and left-back Femi Ilesanmi who only left Bootham Crescent this summer.

The opening exchanges were forgettable as the two sides felt their way into the encounter in the August sun.

However, that all changed after seven minutes when Wood keeper Grant Smith came out of his area to clear a loose ball. His connection was poor and the ball fell to winger Yan Klukowski with Smith scrambling to get back between the sticks. Luckily the York man’s effort was tame and Smith picked the ball up with minimal fuss.

Klukowski came closer four minutes later when a bouncing ball sat up from in the penalty area. But the former Newport County wideman’s connection was poor and bounced wide of the far post.

Wood had looked good going forward and when Bruno Andrade skipped down the left he end up in a crumpled heap thanks to Ben Clappison. It became apparent very quickly the Portuguese wouldn’t be able to continue and he was stretchered off to be replaced by Conor Clifford.

The loss of Andrade galvanised Garrard’s men and Kenny Davis tried his luck shortly after, turning neatly before lashing against the roof of the stand.

Moke was next to try his luck, but after cutting in from the left found Clappison in the way of his low drive.

Boreham Wood’s best spell came around the half-hour mark with a fine passing move only ended when Clifford’s first-time lash at goal was blocked by a brave York defender throwing himself in the way.

By this point the visitors were well on top and the York supporters were growing frustrated by their side’s carelessness in possession.

McNamara’s men finally worked Wood keeper Smith ten minutes before half-time when Kamdjo tried to side-foot into the bottom corner but found Smith in the way.

Aiden Connolly and Alex Whittle both failed to test Smith from good positions following an incisive York breakaway, but that was it for action before the half-time whistle blew.

The second half very nearly started with a bang for Boreham Wood as the ball was worked out to Moke on the left. The former York midfielder let fly with a first time effort but Flinders held the shot diving away to his left.

From there chances and goalmouth action were somewhat lacking until the 67th minute when Wood had a strong penalty appeal turned down.

York centre-back Jack Higgins passed the ball back to Flinders but woefully under-hit the pass, allowed Wood sub Ferrier in behind.

The striker tried to skip round Flinders but appeared to be bought down inside the area. However, referee Peter Wright saw differently and ruled the former Arsenal striker had dived.

With 20 minutes remaining York substitute Richard Brodie headed an Aiden Connolly free-kick comfortably over and that was as close as the hosts came to breaking the deadlock until the 87th minute.

A corner from the right was initially dealt with. But the ball fell for Heslop on the edge of the penalty area and he drilled through a sea of bodies to put the Minstermen in front.

But a minute later Wood snatched an equaliser.

A free-kick was floated in from the left and after an unconvincing punch by Flinders the ball fell for Shakes. The midfielder was calmness personified as he took a touch and lashed into the net to equalise in front of the travelling Wood Army.

Boreham Wood host Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday evening (kick-off 7.45pm).

York City: Flinders; Robinson, Higgins, Clappison (Nti 56); Rooney, Kamdjo, Heslop (c), Whittle; Connolly, Fenwick (Brodie 56), Klukowski (Felix 86).

Substitutes: Simpson (GK), Dixon.

Boreham Wood: Smith; Nunn, Devera, Paine, Woodars; Shakes, Davis (Ferrier 64), Ricketts (c), Andrade (Clifford 16); Moke (Ilesanmi 76); Balanta.

Substitutes: Boal (GK), Jeffrey.

Referee: Peter Wright.

Attendance: 2,169.