Kudus Oyenuga did his chances of earning a permanent contract no harm by scoring the winner as Boreham Wood beat League Two side Luton Town 1-0 this evening.

The win, Wood’s third of pre-season following victories over Arsenal and Brentford, was secured when Oyenuga, who spent time on loan at Meadow Park in 2014, reacted quickest to a mix-up at the back and lobbed into an empty net on the run.

Grant Smith returned between the sticks for Boreham Wood after missing Saturday’s 3-0 win over a young Arsenal side with a slight niggle. Oyenuga was given another run-out up front alongside Daniel Uchechi while former Queens Park Rangers prospect Angelo Balanta was on the bench for the first time.

The Hatters included former Wood youngster Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu in midfield. He made 13 appearances for the club before joining West Ham United in 2011 as a teenager.

Luton flew out of the traps and saw a lobbed effort go wide after just 15 seconds. But their bright start failed to yield a goal and it was Boreham Wood who were rewarded with their first chance of note after 21 minutes.

A helpful ball down the left-hand side from Adriano Moke tempted Luton keeper Christian Walton off his line. Trialist Oyenuga, who was with League Two outfit Hartlepool United last season, took a gamble and stole in to lob past the onrushing keeper.

The Hatters had their best chance to level shortly after when a Wood move broke down on the edge of the Luton penalty area as Conor Clifford lost possession. Cameron McGeehan led the visitors’ charge before exchanging passes with full-back Stephen O’Donnell. However, the former’s first-time effort was straight at keeper Smith.

Wood came closest to doubling their lead seven minutes before half-time. Bruno Andrade delivered a deep corner from the left-hand side and David Stephens rose highest at the back post to connect but couldn’t beat Walton.

Luton skipper Alan Sheehan had the last chance of the half when he cracked a free-kick into palms of Smith from 20 yards. Two minutes earlier Clifford had worked Walton with a stinging 30-yard strike down the keeper’s throat.

Boreham Wood boss Garrard made three changes at the break, introducing trialists Jeffers and Kadell Daniel as well as Kenny Davis.

It was Nathan Jones’ side who made the brighter start to the second period and Smith was called into action shortly after the restart to push out McGeehan’s low strike.

Northern Ireland international Josh McQuoid was next to go close, heading over at the back post after meeting substitute Cameron McJannett’s inviting cross.

Former Bognor Regis keeper Smith did his chances of a contract no harm a minute later when he somehow got down low to his right to beat out Zane Banton’s close-range strike.

Luton had enjoyed the better of the second half but struggled to get in behind Boreham Wood’s resolute backline, typified when Matt Paine somehow got his body in the way of a through ball which looked set to release Isaac Vassell to go one-on-one with Smith.

There was still time for Boreham Wood to go close to a second as Balanta stung the fingertips of Luton substitute Liam Gooch with a snapshot from just inside the penalty area in the dying moments.

That was the last chance for either side though, and Wood closed out a second win in four days. Garrard’s side travel to face former boss Ian Allinson and St Albans City on Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Smith; Nunn, Stephens (B.Goodliffe 83), Paine, Devera (Coldicott-Stevens 87); Moke (Shakes 60), Clifford (Davis HT), Ricketts, Andrade (Daniel 60); Uchechi (Balanta 60), Oyenuga (Jeffers HT).

Substitutes: Beasant (GK).

Luton Town: Walton (Gooch 63); O’Donnell (Justin 63), Mullins (Musonda 63), Sheehan (McJannett 63), Potts (Fameno HT); Rea (Smith 55); Ruddock-Mpanzu (Lee 55), McGeehan (Bakinson 63); Cook (Banton 63); McQuoid (Atkinson 76), Hylton (Vassell 55).

Referee: Anthony Serrano.