Even the experience of former Portsmouth and Everton striker Yakubu wasn’t enough for Boreham Wood who went down 5-0 to Championship side Reading in their second pre-season friendly this afternoon.

Luke Garrard included the Nigerian international, who with 96 goals is the second-highest scoring African in Premier League history, up front for the first time.

The 33-year-old striker, most recently playing for Turkish Super Lig club Kayserispor, left Reading in May 2015 after a short spell at the Madejski Stadium and twice went close during his hour on the field for the National League side.

George Evans broke the deadlock just before half-time and Deniss Rakels added a second after 59 minutes. Youngster Tarique Fosu netted either side of a Liam Kelly free-kick to complete the win in what was former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam's first game as manager. 

Goalkeeper Sam Beasant, son of Wimbledon legend Dave, started between the sticks for Garrard’s side with Jordon Gibbons at left-back and Daniel Uchechi up front.

After the break former AFC Wimbledon striker Charlie Strutton was introduced in place of Yakubu with Paul White, who spent part of last season at Meadow Park before being released, between the sticks. Fellow trialists Jaydon Gibbs, Luis Morrison, Morgan Ferrier and Kadell Daniel were involved once more.

The game had barely begun when a lengthy pause ensued. Republic of Ireland international Paul McShane contested an aerial challenge and came off worse, requiring several minutes of medical attention. The former Manchester United youngster reventually returned to the field after further treatment in the dressing room.

That pause didn’t appear to affect Stam’s side who had the first chance of note after nine minutes. An ill-advised header across the face of his own penalty area by David Stephens saw the ball run loose for Yann Kermorgant. But, just as the French striker went to pull the trigger, Matt Paine flew into block superbly.

Garath McCleary went close a few minutes later with Wood again masters of their own downfall. This time a poor pass from Uchechi failed to find the intended recipient and McCleary strode forward before lashing into the side netting.

Reading came closer still on the half hour when Beasant thwarted Kermorgant. Rakels crossed from the left and Kermorgant connected firmly, but Beasant got across sharply to push his goal-bound effort out.

Having seen considerably less of the ball in the first half Boreham Wood created their first chance of note a minute later. Inevitably it was Yakubu who was unable to beat Ali Al-Habsi with a bending right-footed effort.

Wood looked like they would make it to the break unscathed, despite ceding much of the possession to their visitors, but Reading finally clicked on the stroke of half time.

A ball in from the right fell for Rakels at the back post. He cleverly picked out Evans on the edge of the area and the midfielder steered a curling effort beyond the helpless Beasant.

Garrard made ten changes at the break with only Yakubu retaining his place for the hosts. Reading, meanwhile, made two.

The second half was a move even affair until the Royals doubled their advantage just before the hour mark. A clever flick over the top of the Wood defence from Kermorgant released Rakels and he lobbed beyond the onrushing White.

Soon after Yakubu was withdrawn to a warm reception with Strutton, most recently of Braintree Town, introduced in his place. Reading responded with eight changes of their own, leaving goalkeeper Al-Habsi as the only remaining member of their starting XI.

Wood almost capitalised on the disruption to the game when substitutes Ricky Shakes and Morgan Ferrier combined, the former firing narrowly over after meeting the latter’s cross from the right-hand side.

Reading overcame that scare to add a third in the 78th minute. Substitute Dominic Samuel found some space down the right and whipped a tantalising ball low across the face of goal. It missed everyone except Fosu who slammed into the net with White helpless.

A few minutes later it was four when diminutive midfielder Kelly bent a superb free-kick beyond White. It could have been five a few moments later when Samuel raced onto a loose ball, but Wood stopper White blocked bravely with his feet.

The scoring was complete when Fosu grabbed his second and Reading's fifth, capping a fine massing move, moments before the full-time whistle blew.

Boreham Wood first half: Beasant; Nunn, Paine, Stephens, Gibbons; Chiedozie, Ricketts, Moke, Andrade; Yakubu, Uchechi.

Boreham Wood second half: White; Gibbs, Morrison, Devera, Woodards; Clifford, Davis, Shakes; Ferrier, Yakubu (Strutton 62), Daniel.

Reading first half: Al-Habsi; Watson, Cooper, McShane, Obita; Evans, Van den Berg, Williams; McCleary, Kermorgant, Rakels.

Reading second half: Al-Habsi; Watson (Dickie 61), Cooper (Griffin 61), McShane (Gravenberch 61), Obita (Jules 61); Evans (Barrett 61), Kelly, Williams (Tanner 61); Fosu, Kermorgant (Samuel 61), Rakels (Stacy 61).

Referee: Christopher O’Donnell.