Boreham Wood are back in the National League bottom four after an injury-time goal condemned them to a last-gasp 3-2 draw at fellow strugglers FC Halifax Town last night.

Despite being on the verge of a point in their battle to beat the drop, Wood will look upon the opening 45 minutes as to where this game was lost following a first-half performance which was nowhere near good enough.

Luke Garrard’s side found themselves two goals down to individual mistakes early in the opening period, although the hosts will be disappointed they didn’t go in at the break further ahead.

Whatever was said at half-time worked as the side fought back to level at 2-2, only for a goal in the last few seconds of added-time to give Jim Harvey’s side all three points.

The visitors thought they might have had an early penalty when after Danny Haynes had won a corner, the ball into the penalty area from Conor Clifford found its way back to the midfielder who attempted to return the ball back into the box. Although it appeared to be blocked by the arm of a Halifax defender, the referee waved away the Woods penalty claims.

The hosts then took control and totally dominated the half after Jake Hibbs had put a great ball into the danger area which was headed away by Clovis Kamdjo.

James Russell then spilt a ball into the box which left the Wood defence scrambling it to safety. But just moments later another delivery into the Wood box wasn’t dealt with and Jordan Burrow headed home at the back post.

It didn’t take long for Halifax to double their lead when Russell found himself coming for a corner he wasn’t able to get anywhere near, allowing James Bolton to head into an empty net.

Wood boss Garrard acted immediately and made a change with Delano Sam-Yorke replacing Danny Haynes and switched from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 formation.

A rare Wood attack followed when a nice link-up on the edge of the box between Jamie Lucas and Harry White saw the latter curl the ball just wide of the far post.

Halifax had chances to extend their lead with a shot off target while another effort from Burrow was straight at Russell who made a good save.

Just before half-time Richard Peniket really should have put the game to bed from the left-hand side of the area eight yards out but he fired his shot over the bar.

Wood came out firing second half and really took the game to the home side, with Ben Nunn finding space down the right and driving towards goal before shooting just over the bar.

White then got the visitors back in the game when a deep cross towards the back post found the on-loan Barnsley forward and he powered his header past Sam Johnston.

Burrow missed an opportunity to regain his side’s two goal advantage when he scuffed a first-time effort wide after finding himself in acres of space, before Clifford tried his luck from distance, going past one opponent before shooting wide of Johnston’s near post.

After Clifford’s in-swinging fre- kick missed everyone and trickled out for a goal kick, Wood levelled when Lucas picked the ball up on the left hand side of the box going and beat an opponent before slotting past Johnston.

As the game went into stoppage time there were chances for both sides; Sam-Yorke at the far post sent the ball back across goal where Kamdjo mistimed his jump with the goal gaping to head wide.

But in the final minute of added time a needless foul by Callum Reynolds allowed Halifax to put the ball into the box and this was half cleared for a Halifax throw-in. But a long throw delivery into the 18-yard fell neatly for substitute Connor Hughes, who fired past Russell to send the home supporters wild.

Boreham Wood: Russell, Nunn, Woodards, Reynolds, Doe, Shakes, Haynes (Sam-Yorke), Clifford, Kamdjo, Lucas (Howell), White. Subs not used: Cox, Stephens, Devera.