Harry White netted a dramatic last-minute equaliser to keep up the pressure on the other struggling clubs at the wrong end of the National League table as Boreham Wood salvaged a potentially crucial 2-2 draw at Chester City.

Luke Garrard stayed with his attack-minded formation that did so well five days earlier in the 3-0 victory over Dover Athletic and with goals the only lacking piece in the survival jigsaw, he was rewarded with another two, both of which came when his side were trailing.

"Full credit to the players today to come back twice,” the Wood boss said. “I thought we could worry them with a 4-4-2 set up and they changed their shape second half as a consequence.

“Aside from their goal I thought we controlled the first half. The second half was devoid of many chances for either side, yet we gave away a goal from a free-kick that could have been avoided, with James Russell upset with his attempt to keep it out. Thereafter Harry White gave us a real threat going forward and his finish was superb.

“We looked fit and the point will hopefully serve us, given that some of our rivals have very tough run-ins. With five games left we are outside the drop zone. Our next game at Halifax on Tuesday is absolutely crucial.”

Another protracted journey led to a 45-minute delay to the kick off-time, which in truth did neither of these nervy sides any favours. Chester’s recent form meant they were now sharing the pressure that Wood had long been accustomed to. A defeat in this game would have seen Wood, perceived by many as certain candidates for the drop, move to within a point of the fans’ owned club.

The game began as an end-to-end affair with attacking wing back Ryan Higgins the main threat to the Wood defence with his deliveries into the danger zone. He supplied for Tom Shaw, who saw his 25-yard effort flash just wide.

But Higgins did the damage his promising start to the game earned after just 11 minutes. His burst of pace down the right took him beyond Danny Woodards, delivering a cross that was met superbly by John Rooney, whose fine shot on the half-volley beat Russell.

Wood threatened when Danny Haynes was upended 25 yards out, but he recovered to send his free-kick wide of a post. However, it took Wood just five minutes to get back into the game, the second time in a matter of weeks that a training ground move has been used to good effect.

Conor Clifford delivered the free-kick, swung out wide to the left for Woodards to head across goal. The Blues defence were caught off guard, leaving the well-placed Scott Doe to head home beyond a stranded Jon Worsnop.

Rooney was then denied by Ben Nunn, before seconds later Junior Morias saw his shot blocked at the other end. Nunn then mopped up to clear a dangerous cross from Shaw, before Haynes blasted over for Wood.

The Chester defence then survived a litany of errors. Ryan Lloyd gifted Ricky Shakes possession, Sam Hughes intercepted before almost putting his back pass past his own keeper, who then had to be smart to make a second save at the feet of Morias.

Doe kept the Chester attack at bay with a series of clearances and blocks, his header back to Russell from a back-post cross from Rooney one of the best seen all season.

Jamie Lucas saw his two quick-fire efforts blocked at the other end of the field, before Morias failed to convert Wood’s best chance of a second goal before the interval. Russell’s long clearance ran kindly for the striker who ran his channel well but allowed Worsnop time to pounce upon the shot.

Both sides continued to search for that elusive cutting edge required to gain the precious three points after the interval.

A delay for a head injury to Morias served to frustrate the cause, before he was replaced by White after 62 minutes. But two minutes later and the home side were ahead. Clifford committed the foul that led to Rooney stepping up to beat Russell at his left-hand post for his and Chester’s second of the game.

Clovis Kamdjo headed into the arms of Worsnop from close range, before a Clifford free-kick was flicked on by Kamdjo, only for both Reynolds and substitute Delano Sam-Yorke to get in each other’s way and another chance went begging.

There followed a concerted push for a third killer goal from Chester, yet Wood survived to mount one last late challenge, knowing a point would be precious come the end of the season.

Clifford sent a dipping volley just over, before White had two shots blocked. Nunn then supplied White for a cross from the right which Kamdjo failed to cleanly meet.

However, with seconds of normal time remaining Russell hit a long upfield clearance. Reynolds headed on for Kamdjo to touch into the path of White, who finished crisply beyond Worsnop.

It set up five frantic minutes of stoppage time, but neither side could claim the much-needed win.

Boreham Wood: Russell, Nunn, Woodards, Doe, Reynolds, Clifford, Shakes, Kamdjo, Lucas, Morias (White 62), Haynes (Sam-Yorke 70). Subs not used: Cox, Stephens, Devera.