Luke Garrard threw the shackles off and started with two up front against Macclesfield Town but it was a familiar story for Boreham Wood who were again let down by a lack of goals in a goalless draw at Meadow Park.

Whilst the draw ended a run of three straight defeats at home for Wood, it failed to address the drought which will eventually serve to relegate them from the National League at the first time of asking unless something radical happens between now and the end of April.

For the first time in the National League Wood started in a 3-5-2 formation. That mean a first start since October 13 for Junior Morias, partnered by recent loan signing Harry White.

Ben Nunn was recalled after an eight match absence, deployed with Danny Woodards as wing-back. Callum Reynolds made a welcome return from injury at centre-back.

Whilst the result was disappointing for Garrard he was pleased with the how the new formation had worked.

He said: “In principle the way we set up today worked. I know that Scott Doe and Joe Devera had played that way at their previous clubs and for Ben Nunn it was a natural thing to ask him to do.

“What is alarming is the lack of chances we created. There were some stand-out performances and some poor ones. But I will leave that issue in the dressing room.

“For me we have two games coming up against top five sides that really do not faze me. We still believe and if we hit our target this coming weekend against Cheltenham Town and Dover Athletic we will be on track.

“Before that we contest a place in the final of the Herts Senior Cup on Tuesday which I will not be taking lightly.”

The visitors were slow to start, yet a corner conceded by Reynolds allowed top scorer Kristian Dennis the chance to volley the resultant cross into the side netting.

Nunn grew into his new role and supplied a fine ball inside for Morias who swivelled to fire over the bar.

Wood were creating opportunities and it was Morias again who was denied by a brave block from keeper Shwan Jalal at his left hand post.

White had his first opportunity to shine in a Wood shirt after 17 minutes when quick movement down field through Reynolds and Luke Howell resulted in a dipping drive that deflected over for a corner.

The visitors began to enjoy more of the possession after the first 20 minutes. When Jack Sampson tried to play in Dennis the ball ran for Chris Holroyd who was denied by a fine save from James Russell.

The short corner that followed allowed Danny Whitehead to cross for Holroyd who saw his effort go the wrong side of the post.

The Silkmen had managed just four goals in their last eight league outings and their lack of confidence in front of goal mirrored Wood’s.

Dennis, who has 22 goals to his name already this campaign, produced a fine piece of skill to trap and turn on the volley but Russell was equal to it.

The second half began with Wood creating another chance through the endeavour of Nunn, who snatched possession to allow Howell to play in White. But the 21-year-old took too long to pull the trigger and his shot was easily blocked.

Wood stayed up for a couple of corners, the last of which saw Clovis Kamdjo glance an effort wide of the far post.

The best chance Town had of gaining victory came when Whitaker was found in space on the right. His first-time cross found Dennis who saw his shot run agonisingly just wide of the right hand post.

Wood responded with a quick counter attack. Howell delivered a fine ball to the far post from the right. Morias did well to knock it down into the path of White who could not keep his volley down.

Macclesfield boss John Askey introduced Reece Styche with 15 minutes remaining and he almost settled the tie seconds later. Picked out by Andy Halls he saw his shot well saved by the legs of Russell.

A rare late corner for the Silkmen led to John McCombe firing over the bar.

Wood’s nearest rivals in the battle against the drop, Torquay United and Altrincham, both won to send them back into the bottom four. All the sides around Garrard’s have games in hand.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Devera, Reynolds, Doe; Nunn, Kamdjo, C.Clifford, Howell (Shakes 83), Woodards; Morias (Haynes 69), White.

Subs: Sam-Yorke, Connors, Stephens.