Anthony Jeffrey’s goal was enough for Boreham Wood to beat Braintree Town 1-0 and move Wood out of the National League relegation zone.

The victory, Wood’s first since winning at Bromley in November, was secured as early as the seventh minute at Meadow Park.

Jeffrey was employed as a second striker, called in from the wing to a more central role. Injury and illness ruled out Joe Devera and David Stephens so Ben Nunn was recalled after his loan spell at St Albans City was cut short.

Winning the toss, Wood opted for wind assistance in the first half. The number of crosses provided by Nunn contributed to Wood's weather assisted domination.

However, Wood could and should have been out of sight before the interval with a number of missed opportunities allowing the visitors to threaten the slender lead after the break.

The Iron, who had not lost in their five previous outings, looked the favourites on paper against a side who hadn’t won in the same period.

A short corner on the left after three minutes led to a dangerous curling cross-cum-shot from Alex Woodyard that required a punched clearance from the Wood's James Russell.

Yet just four minutes later it was Garrard's side who were celebrating.

Conor Clifford, who terrorized the Iron defence with his dead ball deliveries, sent in a free-kick from the right that led to a corner.

The Dubliner saw his initial cross cleared but sent over a tantalizing curling ball that committed goalkeeper Will Norris to coming off his line.

He rose to gather, letting the ball fall from his arms at the feet of Jeffrey who punished the mistake.

Thereafter Wood went from strength to strength.

The visitors were forced to defend right up until the half time interval, forcing Town into conceding regular corners.

Clifford almost scored twice direct from the flag, whilst the number of first half crosses Clifford, Nunn and Jeffrey sent in probably outnumbered the total accrued in the side’s last six games.

Jeffrey almost added a second from a quick-fire counterattack. His pace was a real menace to the Iron defenders and when Sam Cox broke up play, Scott Doe released the ex-Arsenal youngster.

He managed to get a lucky break when his attempted ball beyond Matt Paine came back to him off the defender, allowing him to run on and shoot just wide with Norris making sure at the expense of another corner.

Mustafa Tiryaki then played a superbly weighted pass into space for Mauro Vilhete who danced around the first defender but saw his attempt blocked by Sam Habergham.

Vilhete then turned provider, applying a cushioned touch to Nunn's cross for Jeffrey, whose volleyed effort went just over the crossbar.

Tiryaki wasted a fine chance when he dragged a shot wide when well placed.

At the opposite end of the field Russell was called into action for the first time in 40 minutes when Simeon Akinola drew three defenders before releasing Woodyard whose low shot from the left was easily gathered.

Wood continued to pile on the first half pressure and it needed a last-ditch goal-line clearance from Chez Isaac to deny Callum Reynolds from another Clifford corner.

The second half was more of a backs to the wall “win ugly” affair for Garrard's charges.

Playing against the wind the chances in front of goal dried up, leaving the home side to do most of the defending.

Iron boss Danny Cowley sent on powerful striker Sean Marks after 50 minutes. He went close minutes later when a harshly awarded free-kick was swung into danger from the right but the forward could only head straight at Russell.

Doe and Reynolds were impregnable for Wood, the two centre-halves turning in fine performances.

With the battle intensifying as the game drew to a close, Edgar delivered a fine cross for Mark Philips whose stooping header was just too high.

The visitors’ last chance arrived in stoppage time. Woodyard supplied Akinola down the right. His shot flashed across the goalmouth and with Russell out of position Edgar slammed his shot past the post.

Victory lifts Wood out of the drop zone but with some of the sides around them in resurgent form, the battle to survive will be complicated.

Halifax Town, seemingly teetering on the abyss until the arrival of Jim Harvey as interim manager are now five games unbeaten and just four points below Wood with a game in hand.

Torquay United thumped second-placed Forest Green Rovers 4-1 and are a further point adrift with a game in hand whilst Dino Maamria is working his magic on a previously hopeless Southport side who are on a four-game winning streak and have opened up a five-point gap on the Wood.

Welling United swapped places with Wood but are just one point behind with a game in hand. Kidderminster Harriers are still rock bottom.

Next up is a tricky trip to face Woking on Monday and boss Garrard will be looking for back-to-back wins that have eluded Wood so far this season.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Nunn, Cox, Doe, Reynolds, Woodards; Shakes, C.Clifford, Cox, Vilhete; Jeffrey (Howell 90); Tiryaki.

Subs: Edwards (GK), MacDonald, Morias, B Clifford.