Boreham Wood were dumped out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle following a deflected 92nd-minute free-kick from late substitute Guiseppe Sole that gave Woking a 2-1 victory at Meadow Park this afternoon.

It was Sole's double that put paid to Wood's participation in the FA Cup last season and he did the damage again just three minutes after coming off the bench.

After a dominant first-half showing of classy football that was well worth a 1-0 lead to the hosts, Luke Garrard watched his side diminish in a second-half showing that allowed the visitors back into the game.

The Wood boss reflected after the match: “We went in at half-time ahead for the first time since beating Bromley and I felt we may have found that winning habit again. Then in the second half we found out just how tough it was playing into the wind. They were the better side after the break and our finishing needs to be more clinical.

“It is disappointing that we were beaten from two set pieces again today, but that is partly down to the standard of players at this level. Our goal was also from a set piece remember.

“The disappointment of going out of this competition is compounded by the fact that we have let another game slip away without gaining the confidence that a win evokes.

“I have a target return of points from our next four games over the festive period to give ourselves a chance. I feel the transfer window opening will also be crucial in our fight to climb up the league table.”

There was a notable change in the starting line-up, with Mustafa Tiryaki, who has started all of Wood's previous cup ties, replacing Charlie MacDonald, to lead the line in a 4-5-1 formation.

His contribution was immense, scoring the opener, whilst showing an aerial dominance at both ends of the field.

After the opening 45 minutes it was hard to see how Woking could hope for more than a scrappy draw. Tiryaki had a great chance to open his account after just three minutes, when Conor Clifford's high delivery was met by a diving header that had Jake Cole in the Woking goal at full stretch.

Wood were dominant in possession, winning four early corners with varying degrees of success. Twice they were the victims of poor deliveries, allowing the visitors to counter attack at lightning speed. Leading goalscorer Dan Holman was the target on both occasions and he failed to hit the target with his end products.

In between, Wood got it right from the dead ball delivery and took the lead. Clifford swung over a ball from the left at the Broughinge Road end which Scott Doe flicked on. Anthony Jeffrey hit a superb drive that was excellently repelled by Cole, but only as far as Tiryaki who kept his cool to drill his low volley into the back of the net after just eight minutes.

Holman spurned his third chance after 16 minutes. With the Cards loading the right flank with Bruno Andrade feeding Jake Caprice on the overlap, his cross was headed just wide by the Colchester United on-loan forward.

Clifford then hit a rising drive over the bar for Wood, before some fine build-up play involving Clovis Kamdjo and Mauro Vilhete led to Tiryaki firing a shot that was blocked by a defender.

A real cup tie was unravelling and Wood were enjoying the better of it. Yet Holman showed his pedigree when a neat turn and curling drive from the left needed a fine stop from James Russell to prevent it finding the top corner.

Then came the best move of the game. Luke Howell, in a central position, won possession and fed Clifford whose pass out left was dummied by Tiryaki, allowing Jeffrey to glide past a defender before delivering the perfect low cross. Clifford met it first time and was denied by a terrific stop from Cole.

The Cards were constantly sent back toward their own goal by some fine pressing play, allowing Tiryaki to unleash a beast of a drive that flew just wide. More trickery and determination from Jeffrey, this time on the right led to both Vilhete and Tiryaki having attempts blocked as Wood left the field with their heads high at the interval.

The second half took a while to produce any real cup action, with the visitors slowly playing their way back into the game.

John Goddard suddenly came to life after a quiet start to the game and began to make his presence felt in and around the Wood penalty area. The visitors began to even up the corner count, but found Tiryaki in outstanding defensive form.

Russell pulled off a double save to preserve the lead for his side after 61 minutes. First Andrade hit an effort from the right destined for the net which was repelled by a flying acrobatic save. It was Russell's quick recovery to be on hand to deny Goddard with his measured follow-up effort struck with power from 12 yards out that was the stand-out piece of individual skill of the afternoon.

Wood were undone two minutes later, again from a set play. A left-sided corner seemed to be over hit, but defender Brian Saah had other ideas, somehow sticking out a leg to loop his effort over Russell and into the net.

MacDonald replaced Howell shortly afterwards, before Tiryaki was inches short of diverting another fine Jeffrey cross goalwards.

Vilhete was then replaced by Ricky Shakes, but the substitutions had an adverse effect with Wood losing their way in attack. With five minutes remaining Goddard failed to take advantage of a free-kick conceded by Callum Reynolds well within his range, hitting the Wood wall.

On came Sole, fresh from a fruitless month's loan at Basingstoke Town and a repeat scenario occurred when Clifford tripped the substitute into injury-time 30 yards out. Sole dusted himself down and went one better than Goddard, his effort taking a wicked deflection off the wall en route to goal.

There was barely a minute of stoppage-time left, yet Wood went agonisingly close to forcing a replay. Clifford delivered a final corner from the right, with Scott Doe's shot saved point blank on the line by Cole, before Joe Devera's close-range header was somehow scrambled to safety.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Devera, Doe, Stephens, Reynolds; Vilhete (Shakes 71), Kamdjo, C Clifford, Howell (MacDonald 68), Jeffrey; Tiryaki.

Subs not used: Woodards, Morias, B Clifford.