By the time Mohamud Ali came on as a late substitute for Northwich Victoria the Step Four side had already delivered the knockout blow to Boreham Wood’s FA Cup hopes.

There will be no trip to League Two high-fliers Northampton Town in the second round for Wood, who were deservedly dumped out 2-1 by the Vics in this first round replay.

After Junior Morias forced a replay in the initial tie at Wincham Park, Wood were comfortably beaten by a side who play three tiers beneath them in the Northern Premier League Division One North.

Wood have not reached the second round proper since 1998 and the Vics, who boast a proud FA Cup history and are top of their league after 14 games, advanced with goals in either half from Jordan Williams and Ryan Astles. Charlie MacDonald struck late to reduce the deficit. 

Garrard made four changes from the side held to a goalless draw by Chester in the National League on Saturday, bringing Sam Cox, Junior Morias, Anthony Jeffrey and Mustafa Tiryaki into the side in place of the suspended Conor Clifford, MacDonald, Ricky Shakes and Luke Howell.

It was the Vics who showed more intent from the outset in what proved to be a direct contest.

Yet in a fiery encounter which saw six players booked before half time – three apiece – it was Wood who had the first chance when Tiryaki slipped in Junior Morias. But the striker found keeper Mason Springthorpe equal to his rasping drive after 18 minutes.

Wood went close again seven minutes later when Tiryaki lashed a free-kick over from 25 yards following yet another foul by the physical visitors.

But in the 28th minute it was the Vics who finally got their noses in front, Williams following in from close range after James Russell spilled a low shot into his path.

Borehamwood Times:

Jordan Williams wheels away after putting the Vics in front. Picture: Action Images

Russell didn’t cover himself in glory shortly before the break either, miscuing a clearance straight to Brian Summerskill before atoning for the error by nicking the ball off the midfielder’s toes.

Wood had two chances of their own before the half was out; Morias latched onto a long ball forward and swinging his left foot at the bouncing ball to earn a corner from which Kamdjo stabbed wide.

Two incidents soon after the restart shaped the second half as the Vics took the game away from Wood within minutes of almost being pegged back.

First Wood came close to equalising as Russell’s quick throw released the lively Jeffrey down the left and his inviting low cross found Vilhete, whose shot was blocked by Astles.

Almost immediately Northwich broke into Wood’s half and won a free-kick out on the left flank which Williams whipped to the back post for Astles to nod beyond Russell.

Borehamwood Times:

Ryan Astles doubles Northwich Victoria's lead in front of their fans. Picture: Action Images

Falling 2-0 behind lifted Wood and they went close when Morias again warmed the palms of former Everton stopper Springthorpe with a powerful shot towards the near post.

But the Vics still retained a threat and almost put the game out of sight when substitute Josh Amis flicked a header against the underside of the crossbar after the Wood defence switched off.

With their hopes of advancing diminishing by the minute, Wood began to throw men forward in desperation.

Substitute MacDonald very nearly profited but instead saw his back post header from Vilhete’s corner blocked on the line.

There was still time for MacDonald to reduce the arrears with an overhead kick but in the final telling it mattered little and Wood could have no complaint about the result.

A trip to Altrincham, the side directly above them in 19th, awaits on Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Devera, Stephens, Doe, Woodards (B.Clifford 62); Vilhete, Kamdjo, Cox (c), Jeffrey (Shakes 82); Tiryaki (MacDonald 62), Morias.

Subs: Edwards (GK), Reynolds, Howell.

Referee: Andy Woolmer