A rip-roaring FA Cup tie between Boreham Wood and Northwich Victoria ended 1-1 at Wincham Park, meaning a replay at Meadow Park in nine days’ time.

The Vics, 49 places below Wood in the Northern Premier League Division One North, belied the gap between the two sides and will travel to Hertfordshire full of confidence on the evidence of this game.

Junior Morias was preferred in attack to Charlie MacDonald for Wood, with Joe Devera replacing Callum Reynolds in defence. Mauro Vilhete made his first start since joining on loan from Barnet down the right-hand side.

The Vics started like a train winning three early corners and giving the Wood defence plenty to think about in the early stages.

However, the visitors fought back and Morias registered a shot on target for Wood before the Vics’ early pressure paid off.

The goal arrives when Jimmy Ball ran at pace across the 18 yard box, drawing a foul from Dan Woodards to earn a free-kick.

Jordan Williams then stepped up to give the hosts lead by firing beyond James Russell after 12 minutes with an unstoppable angled drive into the top left-hand corner from 20 yards.

The home side continued to control proceedings with Ball’s effort forcing a low save from Russell.

But Wood drew level in the 23rd minute when Northwich keeper Mason Springthorpe miscued a clearance which was pounced upon by Mustafa Tiryaki. He wasted no time in playing Morias through to fire home the equaliser.

And Morias almost caught out Springthorpe with a wind assisted cross-cum-shot before the half was out.

Wood were forced to defend again after the restart with Russell gathering a Brian Summerskill shot.

With defences on top there were few clear-cut chances, yet both keepers were forced into making match saving blocks.

Russell’s moment came on the hour mark. Scott Duxbury broke down the left allowing Williams a low cross. It picked out the run of Ian Howard whose low shot was kept out by a superb reaction save.

Conor Clifford orchestrated Wood’s attacking moves throughout and went close himself after 71 minutes. A throw in was flicked on by Clovis Kamdjo for the Dubliner to volley just over.

Then came a save from Springthorpe which denied Wood the chance to seal their progress in 90 minutes.

Morias was brought down on the right, 40 yards from goal. Clifford’s low free-kick delivery was met by Tiryaki whose shot was repelled by a fine reaction save, the ball falling for Kamdjo who failed to beat Springthorpe from close range.

The two sides will do battle again Monday, November 16 with their potential second round opponents decided this Monday evening on BBC 2 at 7pm.

Wood boss Luke Garrard said afterwards: “It was not good enough today. We started poorly and in truth Northwich Victoria looked the better side.

“They looked like a side full of confidence given their form this season and they put us on the back foot for the first 20 minutes.

“We did well to get back on level terms. Thereafter we looked disjointed and gave them belief.

“We relied upon a superb save from James Russell to keep us in the tie against a very well organised side.

“What is of the upmost importance now is our trip to Bromley on Tuesday night. That for me is a massive game in terms of our participation in the National League and I am looking for a massive response from the players.”

Boreham Wood: Russell; Devera, Doe, Stephens, Woodards; Vilhete, C.Clifford, Kamdjo (Cox 86), Jeffrey; Tiryaki, Morias.

Subs: Reynolds, Shakes, Howell, MacDonald, Edwards.