Boreham Wood advanced to the FA Cup first round proper with a 2-1 win over AFC Hornchurch this afternoon as Luke Garrard claimed his first win since succeeding Ian Allinson as manager.

A strong contender for goal of the round from Mustafa Tiryaki, after Billy Clifford saw a penalty saved, gave Wood the advantage in the first half against a side three tiers below them in Isthmian Division One North.

A labored second-half performance from Luke Garrard's side gave the visitors hope until Anthony Jeffrey, in his first start since re-signing on loan, put Wood into the hat for the next round in the last minute of normal time.

A stoppage time strike from the Isthmian Division One North's leading marksman, George Purcell, gave the visitors something to show for their efforts at the death but it is Wood who advance to Monday’s draw.

Garrard made several changes to his side, handing David Stephens and Jeffery their debuts. Meanwhile, a fit again Scott Doe returned to the starting XI and Tiryaki made only his third start up front. Preston Edwards returned in goal in place of James Russell.

Wood were dominant in the opening half, giving the Urchins’ defence plenty to think about.

Swift movement up front led to a penalty when Charlie MacDonald flicked on for Conor Clifford inside the area and he was upended for his efforts.

However, Sam Mott between the sticks for the visitors went the right way and palmed away Billy Clifford's effort.

Joe Devera, playing at right-back, got forward well on occasions and his superb cross was met by MacDonald who headed just over.

The visitors had a chance when Conor Clifford lost possession to Joey May, who squared for David Knight to shoot wide of the target.

Mott saved his side again when MacDonald created his own chance from a Callum Reynolds through ball.

He held up play well before accepting a return pass from Conor Clifford before curling a shot towards goal which Mott did well to repel.

MacDonald then had a goal chalked out for offside before providing the cross from the left which earned his side the lead in some style.

Supplied by the influential Conor Clifford, the former Barnet striker's cross was watched by Tiryaki who swiveled away from goal to execute a technically brilliant overhead kick into the top corner of the net.

The visitors responded by forcing Edwards into his first save of the afternoon, tipping a long-range Purcell effort over the bar.

The second half began with the visiting Urchins winning several corners. Full-back Billy Coyne also enjoyed a run through the inside right channel before shooting just wide.

Wood still retained a threat and when Tiryaki combined with MacDonald, Mott was forced into another save.

But the hosts were labored going forward in comparison to their opening half performance and with that in mind, Garrard sent on Ricky Shakes in place of Billy Clifford.

Wood were dealt a blow, though, when midfielder Conor Clifford injured himself shooting wide as the game entered its do or die phase.

The two sides continued to trade chances; Edwards needing two attempts to control an effort from Purcell before MacDonald went close at the other end, taking down a ball over the top before lobbing just over.

Tiryaki went close with a powerful header from a Conor Clifford free-kick, then again with a cheeky curled shot looking for the bottom corner.

Hornchurch refused to lie down and had a chance when a deflected shot fell for Junior Luke who blasted his effort into the car park.

Substitute Junior Morias accepted a superbly weighted pass from Conor Clifford but could not pick his way past Alex Bentley who blocked well.

And it was left to Jeffrey to finish off the plucky visitors. Devera started the move out of defence on the right finding Shakes. He found Jeffrey and the former Arsenal youngster advances down the left before firing beyond Mott.

But the Step Four side left with a goal to show for their endeavors when Purcell was fouled by Doe before firing the resulting free-kick beyond Edwards.

Asked what he wanted from Monday night’s draw, Garrard said: “What I want is a winnable tie.

“Unlike past seasons we have only just come into the competition, but the desire is still to see how far we can go.”

He continued: “We were up against a side today that for me are at least Isthmian Premier standard. They have personnel that have played in the Conference South and were impressive.

“In the first half I was pleased with our possession, the chances we created and the superb goal that Mustafa tucked away.

“I told the players at half time if the opposition are still in the game they will grow and Hornchurch did just that.

“However, we managed to get the result, even if the overall performance was not as good as it could have been. We are now in the hat and looking forward to the draw on Monday.”

Boreham Wood: Edwards; Devera, Stephens, Doe, Reynolds; Jeffrey, Kamdjo, C.Clifford, B.Clifford (Shakes 66); Tiryaki, MacDonald (Morias 76).

Subs: Russell (GK), Woodards, Cox, Howell.