New Boreham Wood boss Luke Garrard looked to have masterminded a fine away win at Guiseley on his first afternoon as Ian Allinson’s permanent successor, until the home side levelled from the penalty spot at the death.

Ahead through Clovis Kamdjo’s first goal for the club, Wood looked set to claim their first win under Garrard until Joe Devera fouled Will Hatfield in the penalty area and Nicky Boshell converted the resulting penalty.

On paper this always looked like being a close game with both sides enjoying their first ever season at this level.

However, what transpired was a real game of two halves, with Guiseley’s first-half dominance worthy of building up a comfortable lead, until Wood re-grouped after the interval to dictate proceedings.

Guiseley, who took five attempts to reach the National League via the play-offs, certainly looked the more competent outfit from the kick off. Organised in defence and frugal in possession, it was Wood who were forced to defend for much of the first half.

George Maris blasted over after just two minutes for the hosts before Wood conceded a corner through Callum Reynolds, the captain back in the side after Scott Doe failed a fitness test.

Ricky Shakes half cleared the danger as far as Hatfield whose rising drive took a deflection, earning a second corner. The delivery was flicked on for Jake Lawlor, who saw his effort from six yards thrashed off the line by Sam Cox.

Wood were struggling in the centre of the park with Kamdjo playing Jekyll before completely turning his and his side’s performance on its head after the interval.

The visitors began to find their rhythm just before the break with Billy Clifford probing. His one-two with namesake Conor put him into a goalscoring position but the end product was lacking.

Left winger Maris could have opened his side’s account on the stroke of half-time, turning inside Cox to shoot just the wide of the far post.

Wood had survived the onslaught in the first period, making their second-half transformation all the more impressive.

Kamdjo became the driving midfield force that was hitherto lacking, balls were played to feet and it was the turn of the visitors to dominate.

Billy Clifford played through Charlie MacDonald, whose low shot was smothered by Steve Drench, only for Jamie Lucas to score before being flagged offside.

Billy Clifford was then allowed to drift across goal, first feigning to shoot before tricking Drench with a deft effort that was a ball’s width wide of the post.

A superb ball up field from Devera picked out Shakes who was fouled wide on the right. Billy Clifford delivered and Kamdjo nodded home to put Wood in front after 59 minutes.

The home side were devoid of any of their first half flair and Wood were looking more like the side who were going to bring home the spoils.

Lions boss Mark Bower sent on fresh legs to try and turn the tie back in his side’s favour.

Shakes almost got the much-needed second when he broke through the middle, his pace taking him past three defenders before forcing Drench into a one-handed save.

Substitute Luke Porritt almost found a way beck into the game when his shot from a matter of yards out was deflected behind.

Lucas then spurned two gilt-edged opportunities to wrap things up for Wood in the space of a minute. Devera then Shakes were the providers, yet on both occasions the end products failed to find a way past home keeper Drench.

In the last ten seconds of normal time Danny Lowe cut a ball in from the left for another substitute, Boshell, who was tripped as he looked to score.

Referee John Brooks, having already pointed to the spot, pulled play back and Boshell made no mistake in repeating the feat of beating James Russell, this time from the spot.

Yet there was still time for Junior Morias to take the ball outside two defenders on the left before pulling his shot just inches wide of the far post.

Speaking afterwards, Wood manager Garrard said: “I felt the first 20 minutes of the second half was one of our best spells this season to date.

“Overall we appeared to have addressed our fallibility from set pieces, which has been our main focus in training. We spoke about our positioning off the ball at half time and Clovis epitomised that improvement.

“It was always important that we did not allow them a spell to get back into the game and we achieved that objective.

“Of course, on the day both sides were guilty of lacking some quality in front of goal, that is the same problem that both managers need to address.

“However, our main aim was to ensure we got back on the bus still in touch with the group of teams above us and that has been achieved.”

Boreham Wood: Russell; Cox, Devera, Reynolds, Woodards; Shakes, Kamdjo, C.Clifford, B.Clifford; Lucas, MacDonald (Morias 87).

Subs: Nunn, Howell, Jeffrey, Tiryaki.