It will not have been lost on Boreham Wood fans that on the night Lee Angol returned to his former club the Wood could desperately have done with the Peterborough United striker's goalscoring touch.

Beaten 3-2 by Bromley, who last season pipped Wood to the title after Ian Allinson’s side had led for much of the season, Wood toiled to no avail at Meadow Park as the Lilywhites ran out clear and deserved winners.

Angol, who netted twice on his Posh debut at the weekend in a 5-1 rout of Oldham Athletic, traded Luton Town for London Road over the summer off the back of a stunning season which saw him hit 25 league goals for Wood en-route to the National League for the first time in Wood’s history.

He was an interested spectator on the night but the cutting edge and ability to carry the ball which he made his trademark during an enormously successful loan stint was sadly lacking as Wood slipped to a damaging home defeat against a side who came up with them from step two last term.

And whilst Angol's clinical finishing would undoubtedly have been an asset for Wood, it was their failure to defend set pieces properly, not for the first time, which cost them two cheap goals. 

Allinson sprung a surprise with his team selection by starting the returning Sam Cox at right-back in place of Ben Nunn, who dropped to the bench. Charlie MacDonald partnered Junior Morias after ploughing a lone furrow at Lincoln City on Saturday.

It was Wood who started the brighter with Dan Woodards controlling Callum Reynold’s raking pass, darting inside a Bromley defender and shooting just wide of Alan Julian’s near post with the aid of a deflection.

Former Chelsea youngster Billy Clifford had been at the centre of everything good for the hosts in the opening exchanges. He saw a firm effort blocked from the edge of the area after 12 minutes before MacDonald got off a snap-shot which also hit a visiting defender.

Bromley had their first presentable chance when striker Ben May made a good connection with a cross from the left but could only direct his effort wide of Preston Edwards’ right-hand post.

Billy Clifford almost got lucky in the 16th minute when he swung in what looked to be a routine cross from the right, only to see the ball drop just wide of the back post with Julian back-peddling frantically.

And Wood went even closer a minute later when Morias latched onto a clip over the top of the Lilywhites’ backline, rounded Julian and squared for MacDonald who saw the ball nicked off his toe as he went to fire into the empty net.

MacDonald turned provider for Morias a couple of moments later, the hero of the Hertfordshire side’s Play-Off Final win placing comfortably over after connecting with MacDonald’s low cross.

Former Barnet skipper MacDonald then got a good contact on Ricky Shakes’ right-wing centre but could only divert his header into the grateful palms of Julian.

Bromley should have gone in front in the 21st minute when Joe Anderson’s cross from the left found Goldberg unmarked at the far post, but he contrived to blaze over first time from close range.

But in the 31st minute the Lilywhites’ banished any memory of that miss as May thrashed home after centre-back Ben Chorley had thumped a header against the post from a corner.

Borehamwood Times: Bromley skipper Rob Swaine clears under pressure from Wood captain Callum Reynolds. Picture: Sean HinksBromley skipper Rob Swaine clears under pressure from Wood captain Callum Reynolds. Picture: Sean Hinks

The crossbar was reverberating 60 seconds later as Max Porter received Moses Ademola’s pass and whipped the ball against the horizontal first time.

By now the visitors were well on top and they passed up another good chance when Scott Doe’s ill-advised backwards header fell to Ademola to shoot straight at Edwards.

Grateful of the half-time whistle, Wood started the second period little better than they had ended the first and fell 2-0 behind after eight minutes.

A free-kick from the left was met by the head of Ademola and centre-back Rob Swaine was on hand to nudge home from virtually on the line.

Borehamwood Times: Billy Clifford (left) battles to get past Bradley Goldberg. Picture: Sean HinksBilly Clifford (left) battles to get past Bradley Goldberg. Picture: Sean Hinks

Wood’s response was good, though, and four minutes later they hauled themselves back off the canvas.

Billy Clifford delivered a free-kick from the right and after Morias nodded the ball down it fell to Doe, of all people, to sweep a left-footed half volley in off the far post. MacDonald afterwards laid claim to the goal, however, stating the ball had come off his studs before crossing the line.

But that glimmer of hope was quickly extinguished as six minutes later Bromley extended their lead once more.

The dangerous Ademola, who had scored twice in his last two games for the south Londoners, passed inside from the right and Goldberg curled home to give the visitors breathing space.

A last-gasp goal from Morias, tucking home after a corner from the right was not cleared, proved scant consolation. 

Borehamwood Times: Goalscorer Junior Morias holds off Lilywhites captain Rob Swaine. Picture: Sean HinksGoalscorer Junior Morias holds off Lilywhites captain Rob Swaine. Picture: Sean Hinks

Wood have now not picked up a point at home since drawing 1-1 with Woking on August 29. Defeat leaves the Hertfordshire side 20th in the National League, a point clear of the relegation zone.

Boreham Wood: Edwards; Cox (Hill 70), Doe, Reynolds, Woodards (Nunn 24); Shakes, Howell, C.Clifford, B.Clifford; MacDonald (Crawford 80), Morias.

Subs: Whichelow, Montgomery.

Referee: Robert Whitton.

Attendance: 364.