Two goals in the final two minutes denied Boreham Wood a hard-fought draw at Lincoln City, instead losing 3-1 at the death at Sincil Bank in the National League.

Ian Allinson’s men took the lead in the 35th minute through Matty Whichelow and held the advantage until the 64th minute when Matt Rhead equalised from the penalty spot.

Rhead then put the Imps in front two minutes from time before Alex Simmons completed the job at the death.

Lincoln who were unbeaten at home going into the game and dominated for large periods amassing a total of 18 shots to the visitors’ eight.

Wood boss Allinson reverted back to his favoured 4-5-1 system with the experienced Charlie MacDonald leading the line.

Lincoln’s first effort came within 60 seconds from the first of many long throws came in from the right. The ball was flicked on by Rhead and safely into the hands of Wood goalkeeper Preston Edwards.

Wood had the next chance, Billy Clifford, Ricky Shakes and MacDonald combining well on the counter-attack before the latter shot straight at Paul Farman in the Lincoln goal.

Lincoln’s Jack Muldoon had a great chance to give the Imps the lead when a long ball forward from keeper Farman evaded the Wood defence but a poor first touch allowed Edwards to collect.

Conor Clifford was guilty of passing up a great opportunity to put Wood in front, firing over following good build-up play from Shakes and MacDonald.

Another long throw into the Wood box was met by Rhead who headed just over.

By now Lincoln were piling on the pressure. A deep ball into the box from winger Terry Hawkridge found Simmons whose header hit the post. A goalmouth scramble followed with Luke Waterfall putting the ball over from six yards.

Lincoln's Bradley Wood, who got forward with menace all afternoon, then played a delightful ball into the box which Reynolds swiped at unconvincingly. The ball could have gone anywhere but thankfully for the Wood it eventually went wide for a Lincoln corner only.

Rhead was put through after another long ball over the top deceived the Wood defence. In trying to lob Edwards his effort ended up the wrong side of the bar, though.

Ten minutes before the break and against the run of play, Boreham Wood’s opener arrived.

A great counter-attack saw Whichelow scamper down the right, getting to the by-line before seeing his cross bounce past keeper Farman after taking a sizeable deflection off a Lincoln defender.

Immediately after the restart Conor Clifford conceded a free-kick 25 yards out. Hawkridge won the argument to take the set piece and rattled the Wood crossbar with an almost perfect effort.

Wood then went in search of a second and might have found one had MacDonald got his volley on target after connecting with Conor Clifford’s defence splitting loft into the penalty area.

Conner Robinson’s introduction from the bench made a difference for the Imps and he was immediately into the action, firing in a dangerous cross which Dan Woodards had to deal with.

From a long throw into the Wood penalty area Rhead nodded goalwards and only a good claw away from Edwards denied him.

Lincoln could not be denied forever, though, and in the 64th minute they drew level from the spot. Hawkridge was fouled by Woodards and Rhead dispatched the spot kick with minimal fuss.

Wood pressed for a second and when Ben Nunn won a free kick out on the right, Whichelow delivered for Shakes to send a free header wide of the post.

Chances continued to come for the Imps and Simmons had a shot saved on the line by Shakes. Rhead then won the ball again in the air butt Simmons couldn’t quite find the target.

Next Waterfall headed over from a corner before Whichelow saw an effort blocked by the home side’s defence.

Heading into the final few minutes both sides thought they could win the game.

Shakes lead a Wood counter attack, Whichelow dwelled on the ball, but finally got a shot away which was well blocked by the Imps defence.

A sucker-punch was to follow in the 88th minute, though, as Chris Moyses’ side went in front for the first time.

Edwards allowed the ball to go out of play for what he – and the referee – thought was a goal kick. The delivery came in and Rhead headed beyond Edward.

And in stoppage time Lincoln made the points safe as Simmons met a deep cross and nodded beyond Edwards.

Speaking afterwards, Allinson said: “Today I thought throughout we struggled to deal with the way that they played with long balls and throws into our box.

“We defended them well in general, however, we went to sleep for their second and third goals which we just cannot do at this level.”

Assessing the goals Wood conceded, Allinson said: “For the first we lost the ball down by their corner, let them out too easily they then ran beyond our midfield and it was a foul so can’t complain.

“Their winner, though, disappointed me. As although the changing room are adamant the officials got it wrong we once again conceded from set piece.

“We will have a training session on Monday ahead of Bromley on Tuesday who will be coming full of confidence. I hope the supporters, who were once again fantastic today, get behind the side as we look to get back to winning ways.”

Boreham Wood: Edwards, Nunn, Doe, Reynolds, Woodards; Shakes, B.Clifford (Howell 65), C.Clifford, Cox, Whichelow (Morias 85); MacDonald (Crawford 72).

Subs not used: Hill, Montgomery.