National League new-boys Boreham Wood pulled off the shock of the season so far by winning 2-0 at much-fancied and previously unbeaten Tranmere Rovers this afternoon.

Second-half goals from Graeme Montgomery and Harry Crawford were enough to clinch a second win for Wood, who were last year two divisions below the then-League Two side in the English football pyramid.

Boss Ian Allinson handed first starts of the season to goalkeeper Preston Edwards and midfielder Sam Cox in front of nearly 5,000 fans at Prenton Park.

Loan signing Edwards was called into action early but saved comfortably from Michael Ihiekwe.

Lone striker Jamie Lucas lasted 24 minutes before a hamstring injury heralded the introduction of Crawford, who ended the game as one of the Wood heroes by scoring his second of the season.

It was Wood who were the more comfortable with the football at their feet as Rovers relied on the counter attack and long balls forward.

The home side gave up possession easily on occasions, allowing Ben Nunn a shot which was charged down before Luke Howell flashed an effort just wide of Scott Davies’ post in a half of few chances.

After the interval Rovers went close to opening the scoring when a free-kick delivered from the right-hand corner was met by the head of Lois Maynard six yards from goal. Edwards saved well before Callum Reynolds cut out a final ball destined for Andy Mangan.

New loan signing Nathan Blissett, captured on a one-month deal from Bristol Rovers on Friday, was introduced after 55 minutes in the hope of improving his attacking options but three minutes later it was Wood who were celebrating.

Borehamwood Times: Conor Clifford lets fly for Boreham Wood with Sam Cox watching on. Picture: Sean HinksConor Clifford lets fly for Boreham Wood with Sam Cox watching on. Picture: Sean Hinks

Full-back Nunn sent over a low cross from the right which evaded both Ricky Shakes and Crawford. The Rovers defence went to sleep allowing Montgomery to control the cross before lashing home a fine finish from the left.

Wood had the momentum now and a fine sweeping move from right to left resulted in another Nunn cross finding the head of Crawford to nod just wide.

Rovers still retained a threat and Scott Doe did well to intercept another Jay Harris effort before the home side relinquished any hold they had in the middle of the park, with Conor Clifford and Cox moving through the gears for Wood in impressive fashion.

Substitute Adam Mekki offered some threat for the hosts and his two touches inside the penalty area led to two shots. But the Wood defence were in no mood to surrender their precious lead on Merseyside.

Crawford, who had led the line superbly since coming on in the first half, got his reward in stoppage time as Wood looked to close out the game.

Clifford ran at two defenders before playing in Crawford down the left, the former Barnet forward then curled into the corner of the net to put the result beyond doubt for Wood.

Borehamwood Times: Picture: Sean HinksPicture: Sean Hinks

Speaking afterwards a delighted Allinson said: “We defended from the front today and every player was given a specific role which they carried out to the letter.

“Unlike in our last three games we scored important goals at the right time. We made it hard for Tranmere and I am pleased with the outcome.”

He continued: “When you come to places like this you have to pinch yourself. It is a superb stadium and we knew we had to try and keep their large and vocal support relatively quiet.

“It is an absolute privilege to came and ply your trade at such a large club. Today makes last season’s promotion even more special.”

Boreham Wood: Edwards; Nunn, Doe, Reynolds, Woodards; Shakes, Howell (Whichelow 79), Cox, C.Clifford, Montgomery; Lucas (Crawford 24).

Subs not used: Russell, Hill, Morias.