A battling performance against one of the title favourites looked to have secured Boreham Wood a well-earned point on Tuesday night, until James Constable netted a winner for the Spitfires right on full time. 

Jai Reason supplied the cross from the left with Constable shoving Callum Reynolds out of the way en-route to placing a fine header back across goal, leaving James Russell helpless.

Wood were forced to chase possession in the opening 20 minutes and again after the restart. Eastleigh were playing an attack-minded 4-4-2 and moved the ball at pace, yet Wood coped and created some opportunities of their own in a game where defences reigned supreme and the midfield was a scene of frenetic battle.

The Spitfires won the first corner of the game when Reason’s cross was met by Ben Strevens who saw his arrowed header palmed away by James Russell, with two follow-up shots desperately cleared by Callum Reynolds and then Luke Howell.

The home side, looking for their second win in three days, did not have it all their own way.

A sweeping six-man move allowed Billy Clifford to slip in Ricky Shakes in on goal. It was Wood’s best chance of the game, with Michael Poke alert to save with his legs.

Billy Clifford then teed up Danny Woodards, whose long-range effort flew over the crossbar.

Eastleigh almost went ahead when an under-hit Conor Clifford back-pass saw Strevens beat Russell to the ball. Somehow Wood escaped with the ball rolling just past the post at the expense of another corner.

Jamie Lucas battled alone up front for Wood, but found Jamie Turley in the heart of the Spitfires' defence in outstanding form.

Borehamwood Times:

Ross Lafayette planted a header from a Will Evans cross into the arms of Russell before testing the keeper again after the interval. Reason intercepted a loose ball to play in the ex-Luton Town player, whose low shot across goal was just wide of a post.

Russell then saved acrobatically to deny Strevens after a corner, clawing the headed effort over the bar.

Both sides made errors in a stop-start second half which continued at a high tempo, both managers introducing fresh legs.

Conor Clifford showed no sign of tiring, however, with his fine cross-field ball allowing Graeme Montgomery an effort that found the side netting only.

Then came the sting in the tail.

Wood's defence switched off momentarily, allowing both Reason the space to cross and Constable the time to attack the ball and choose his spot.

Borehamwood Times:

Speaking after boss Ian Allinson could not hide his disappointment. “Obviously the players deserved more for their endeavours over the 90 minutes. We were naïve at the death and that has cost us a point," he acknowldged.

"I have not seen the replay but I spoke to the referee afterwards and he is adamant that Callum Reynolds slipped [rather than being pushed].

"To concede in the last minute always leaves a bad feeling. We made a few chances and certainly did not come down here just for the draw.

"We are new to this standard and it will take time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition we face. That said we will take the positives from the game and look to build upon them.”

Boreham Wood: Russell; Nunn, Doe, Reynolds, Woodards; Shakes, Howell, Conor Clifford (Morias 90), Billy Clifford (Whichelow 69), Montgomery; Lucas (Crawford 69).

Subs not used: Hill, Edwards.