A town famous for its film history rather than football wrote a script worthy of Hollywood itself as part-time underdogs Boreham Wood overcame the riches of Whitehawk 2-1 in extra time to seal a place in the National League for the first time.

The Wood have never played in the top tier of the non-league pyramid but following their extra time victory, Ian Allinson's side will next season compete against the likes of Tranmere Rovers and Cheltenham Town in the re-branded National League.

And they did by beating an expensively-assembled Hawks side boasting a number of full-time professionals and a cluster of players replete with bags of a Football League experience.

Lee Angol opened the scoring just after the hour mark by placing a low free-kick into the far corner of the Whitehawk net. With nine minutes remaining, Deering levelled for the away side from the penalty spot.

Just two minutes of extra-time had passed when Boreham Wood decisively re-took the lead, Junior Morias lashing a half-volley beyond Hawks goalkeeper Craig Ross.

Wood boss Allinson named the same starting XI which fired Wood to the play-off final with a 4-2 aggregate victory over Havant & Waterlooville in the semi-finals.

The game got off to an explosive start with two flares let off in the Wood end – one of which was thrown onto the pitch at the end goalkeeper James Russell was protecting, causing a slight delay.

Boreham Wood’s first real chance of note arrived after a tetchy and nervy first 20 minutes; centre-back Josh Hill sneaking in at the back post to divert Graeme Montgomery’s whipped free-kick delivery into the side netting.

Both side had struggled to put together a spell of possession, with the Hawks going closest when a corner kick deflected off a Wood body and wide early on.

Experienced playmaker Sergio Torres, who has three promotions under his belt in a lengthy Football League career, came close ten minutes before half-time when he left fly with a speculative snap-shot from 25 yards which Russell watched wide of his left-hand post.

But it was Wood who headed into the break having gone closest; 25-goal top-scorer Angol bending a tantalising right-footed free-kick narrowly over the top corner of Ross’ net.

Angol went closer still seconds before the whistle, leaving Marvin Hamilton for dead and ignoring the pleas of Morias before slashing wide of Ross’ near post after losing his footing inside the penalty area.

Former Peterborough United forward Danny Mills ought to have done better early in the second period when he got up to meet Nick Arnold’s cross but could only flick a header wide of the back post.

Strike partner Jake Robinson had an even better chance shortly after the hour but could only shoot tamely into the grasp of Russell after finding himself in space to shoot inside the penalty area following a sharp Hawks’ counter-attack.

Wood had struggled to create any clear-cut chances in the second period after enjoying the better of the first.

However, that all changed shortly after the hour mark when Angol won a free-kick in the ‘D’ of the Whitehawk penalty area. The Conference South’s top scorer promptly stepped up and planted beyond Ross himself to open the scoring.

But the Sussex visitors almost responded immediately when Robinson battled on to work a shooting opportunity, slamming agonizingly wide of Russell’s near post.

With little under ten minutes to play, the visitors drew level from the penalty spot; Deering firing past Russell – who guessed the correct way – after Sam Cox’s challenge on John-Paul Kissock.

Neither side could force a winner in the remaining minutes, prompting 30 minutes of extra time.

Wood re-took the lead within two minutes of the re-start, Morias half-volleying home from eight yards after connecting sweetly with Angol’s flick on.

Ricky Shakes might have strengthened Wood’s lead late in the first period of extra time but after rounding two Hawks defenders, founding skipper Lee Hills directly in the line of his shot.

The second half of extra time began in niggly fashion with a serious of fouls puncturing an ill-tempered period of play, which paused briefly for Ben Nunn to thump an ambitious free-kick over from 30 yards.

Ahmed Abdulla, who had been at the centre of a tit-for-tat exchange earlier in the half, almost had Russell scrambling when he let fly from 20 yards but only drove narrowly over the top corner of Wood goal.

But the Hawks could not find a way through the resilient Wood defence and Allinson's side made history.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Nunn, Hill, Reynolds (c), Herd; Shakes, Thomas, Cox, Montgomery (Whichelow 79); Morias (Walker 123) Angol.

Subs: Martin, Garrard, Courtnage (GK).

Whitehawk: Ross; Arnold, Hamilton, Sankofa, Hills (c); Deering, Kissock, Torres (Gargan 78), Neilson (Ijaha 60); Robinson, Mills (Abdulla 87).

Subs: Rose, Kujabi.

Referee: Antony Coggins.

Attendance: TBA.