Robbie Grabarz completed a remarkable rise by taking a share of the Olympic bronze medal in the high jump on Tuesday night.

The 24-year-old had first-time clearances up to 2.29 metres before three failures at 2.33m sent him out of the competition. Canadian Derek Drouin and Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim had exactly the same record to share third place with the Briton.

Ivan Yukhov took the gold medal as the only man to clear 2.36m and 2.38m - it was the Russian's first major outdoor title. American Erik Kynard took the silver with a 2.33 clearance, with compatriot Jesse Williams, the world champion, finishing back in joint ninth.

Grabarz even considered quitting athletics last year before a few harsh words from coach Fuzz Ahmed turned his career around.

He said: "It is going to be a crowded podium. Just as long as we get a medal each and don't have to split one between three it will be alright. I'm just going to keep training and keep competing and fight for more medals. You've got to battle and try and win stuff, that is the whole reason we are here."

Meanwhile, Shara Proctor made swift work of qualifying for the final of the long jump at the Olympic Stadium. The Anguilla-born athlete leapt out to 6.83 metres with her first attempt of the night to secure automatic qualification.

Andrew Osagie also shone by producing a hugely impressive run to qualify for the 800m final in second place behind world record holder David Rudisha of Kenya. The world indoor bronze medallist got his tactics spot on and powered through down the home straight to finish in one minute 44.74 seconds.

"I am so happy," the Essex athlete said. "I can't believe I qualified automatically.Words can't describe how I feel after that race. It's the toughest Olympic 800m for a long time and to qualify for the final, 25 minutes from my house is a dream come true."

Elsewhere, Lawrence Okoye's hopes of a discus medal disappeared with a disappointing performance. The 20-year-old, who produced a throw of 65.28 metres in qualifying, could only manage a best of 61.03m to end the competition in 12th place.

Tiffany Porter, who has been struggling with a back injury, missed out on the final of the 100m hurdles, finishing fourth in her heat with her time of 12.79secs not enough to take her through as a fastest loser.