Having met just 52 hours previously, it was no surprise that Boreham Wood and Salisbury City knew enough to cancel each other out, with a 1-1 draw a fair result at Meadow Park.

City would have been pleased with their point, while Wood boss Ian Allinson was “delighted with my players after such a gruelling fixture list.”

He continued: “We have just had five away games and just two at home in the last 23 days and we have lost just once. That we looked a little tired tonight was understandable but I cannot fault the commitment of what is a great little squad that I am managing.

“We came away from Salisbury with a great win having played out the second half with ten men and I would certainly have taken four points from six before these two back-to-back ties.”

Mauro Vilhete had a shot cleared off the line after just three minutes as Wood started well. However, it needed Luke Garrard to reciprocate at the other end just three minutes later when Elvijs Putnins failed to hold his save.

Both Stuart Sinclair and Marvin Williams recorded shots on the Wood goal as the visitors looked to atone for their 2-0 defeat two days earlier.

Charlie O'Loughin headed just wide from a Graeme Montgomery corner before Omer Riza set up Montgomery, whose shot deflected for a corner. City had obviously targeted Riza as a threat with swarms of defenders buzzing around him.

However, he showed his skills from a free-kick out on the left, hitting a sizzling drive that crashed off the left-hand post back into play.

The Whites took the lead from a similar position after 58 minutes.

Substitute Charlie Losasso drilled home a low shot from a free-kick 25 yards out on the left, which beat Putnins going in off the left hand post.

The game had needed a goal and a second came just six minutes later.

Vilhete danced along the goal line past three defenders to find Riza, who unlocked himself from his shackles to drill home with power from just eight yards out. It was the 32-year-old's fourth goal in seven starts.

Vilhete was a real live wire on the evening with superb quick feet and an energy that took him through to the final whistle, having played just the first half down in Wiltshire.

Omar Beckles, who was an able replacement for Daniel Brathwaite, at left-back went close with a header from another Montgomery corner as Wood looked the likelier to grab all three points in the closing stages.

A low 30-yard shot from Garrard went just wide, Vilhete hit a dipping drive from just outside the area, while Wood were resolutely defending corners at the other end.

On the injury front, Mark Jones is nearing match fitness which is good news with Brathwaite out for the rest of the season with torn ankle ligaments. Captain Mario Noto is recovering from a hamstring problem and could be available in seven to ten days time.

Boreham Wood: Putnins, Sankofa, Beckles, Garrard, Reynolds, O'Loughlin, Vilhete, Cox, Bryant, Riza (Hutton 67), Montgomery. Not used: Rubinia, Close, Hunter and Jordan.