Behind the veil of mist that engulfed the Treyew Road Stadium, Truro City earned their first win in six matches, ending Boreham Wood's unbeaten run of four following a 2-1 defeat.

With Daniel Brathwaite unavailable, there was a debut for 18-year-old PASE player Lee Close at left-back, who continued his excellent week after being called up to represent England Colleges. This week he flies out to Italy, along with Charlie Hunter and Ruddock Yala, to compete in an international tournament, giving Wood a trio of representatives at national level.

It was an atmospheric evening with play difficult to follow at some stages due to the weather. In truth, Wood missed the creativity of the injured Mario Noto in the centre of the park on the night.

A goal-filled evening looked on the cards after the Tiger Whites took the lead after just 11 minutes.

A fine piece of defending from Callum Reynolds looked to have repelled any danger, yet a whipped ball in from the right was headed down into the bottom corner of the net by Marcus Martin.

But Wood were behind for just eight minutes.

A Graeme Montgomery corner was cleared to David Bryant, whose first time effort rippled the back of the net from just inside the penalty area, taking his league tally into double figures.

The rest of the half was a war of attrition between the two sides. The best two chances fell to Bryant and had he done better it may have been a different long journey back for Ian Allinson's men.

Racing through on goal, he took the ball inside his marker who appeared to catch him, yet nothing untoward was spotted by the officials, whom like the fans were having a difficult time following the ball.

Then minutes later with only the keeper to beat, he executed a shot that bounced to safety off the keeper’s rear.

Elvijs Putnins was rarely troubled in the Wood goal, yet found himself picking the ball out of the net again after 56 minutes.

Close, who had a fine first game for the senior side, was undone by the uneven surface - the ball bobbling to allow a whipped cross form the right which was converted by Stuart Yetton.

Thereafter stalemate prevailed, with the home side shutting down any foraging operations in the mist that Wood tried to build, making it a frustrating evening for the small band of travelling fans.

With both Bryant and Omer Riza replaced late on by the youthful duo of Harvey Scott-Morris and Dean Rubenia, a late chance of an equaliser manifested itself courtesy of the PASE players on show.

A fine ball from Close picked out Scott-Morris, whose shot from just outside the area looked destined for the back of the net before cannoning off a defender’s head to safety.

According to Wood boss Allinson, there was little to choose between the two sides.

He said: “The main difference was our ever re-occurring problem - we are not taking our chances when they come. Truro had two decent chances all game and took both of them, whilst we only took one of our three or four good chances in the first half.

“I would have said a draw would have been a fair result, however it was a bit difficult to analyse the game as a whole due to the conditions.

I have no idea how Graeme Montgomery performed in the first half for me as he was on the opposite side of the ground and the same goes for Mauro Vilhete in the second half. That said, the last thing we would have wanted was an abandonment”

Boreham Wood: Putnins, Sankofa, Close, Garrard, Reynolds, Beckles, Vilhete, Cox, Bryant (Scott-Morris 84), Riza (Rubenia 84), Montgomery (Hutton 77). Not used: Jordan and Doolan.