Boreham Wood were held to a 1-1 draw by promotion-chasing Sutton United after the visitors snatched a 94th minute equaliser.

Michael Thalassitis had given Wood an early lead in his penultimate game for the club but Romone McCrae popped up deep into stoppage time to ensure the points would be shared.

It is the second successive game that the visitors have relied on a late goal for a point. Yet such was their dominance for large spells, Wood can consider themselves lucky to get something from the game.

Nathan Koranteng and Jon Clements were preferred on the wings in place of David Hutton and Sam Lechmere, whilst Daniel Brathwaite replaced the suspended Mark Jones at left back.

The opening exchanges belonged to Wood as the hosts duly took the lead five minutes in. Koranteng got beyond Michael Boateng down the left with his cross finding Thalassitis who was able to control with his chest before picking his spot beyond Kevin Scriven.

Brathwaite, who was excellent after a spell out of the first team, then provided a tantalising cross that almost sent Thalassitis through again. The on-loan Stevenage man then turned provider on the left, finding Daryl McMahon but his curling effort was just wide of the top left hand corner.

Further efforts by Thalassitis and McMahon were well defended before the visitors settled into the game. Craig Watkins was released down the middle forcing Michael Jordan to rush off his line to block with his legs. The loose ball fell for Harry Beautyman who tried his luck at an empty goal from thirty yards out but was beaten only by the crossbar.

Sutton turned up the heat with Osei Sankofa clearing a cross off the line before a far post header from Joel Ledgister went behind off David Bryant for a corner.

The dangerous Anthony Riviere attacked down the left and when Charlie O'Loughlin made a rare mistake, it was left to Jordan to save at the near post.

The game remained even after the break with McMahon's superbly weighted ball allowing Thalassitis to turn and power towards goal but Simon Downer's challenge was exemplary, as was his overall performance in the heart of the Sutton defence.

A treble substitution by Paul Doswell with 15 minutes remaining tipped the balance in his side’s favour but Wood were still managing to frustrate the visitors with some superb defending.

Downer then denied McMahon before Brathwaite made a fine block from Ledgister’s effort. As the game rolled into five minutes of added time O'Loughlin stood his ground to prevent Ledgister running through on goal.

Yet the sting in the tale manifested itself in the 94th minute as Downer played Ledgister through on the right. His low cross along the goal line was intercepted by Sankofa who slid in, yet the ball spilled towards the far post where the fortunate McCrae was in the right place to bundle home from close range. It was a goal which the visitors deserved for all their efforts on the afternoon.