Boreham Wood clinch Eastbourne Borough win

Borehamwood Times: Ian Allinson's side picked up a win over Eastbourne Borough Ian Allinson's side picked up a win over Eastbourne Borough

Boreham Wood beat Eastbourne Borough 3-1 on Wednesday evening to move up to 12th in the Conference South standings.

Winger Graeme Montgomery handed Wood the ideal start after just five minutes, beating Eastbourne goalkeeper Craig Ross when one on one.

The hosts’ lead did not last long, with former Fulham striker Elvis Hammond equalising just six minutes later for Boro.

Boreham Wood regained the lead after 23 minutes when Wycombe Wanderers loanee Lee Angol converted from the penalty spot.

Ian Allinson’s men went further ahead when an awful error from Eastbourne keeper Ross handed them a third goal.

A tame shot from Kudus Oyenuga appeared to be heading wide but Ross somehow managed to palm the ball into his own net for the third.

Hammond thought he’d reduced the deficit after the break but the Ghanaian international saw his effort disallowed for offside.

The previous Saturday, Wood came out on top in a seven-goal thriller with Chelmsford City at Meadow Park.

Wood took the lead after just three minutes, Junior Morais dashed down the right-hand side before crossing for Angol to finish with aplomb.

Chelmsford took just four minutes to get back on terms, equalising in somewhat fortuitous circumstances as Matthew Lock’s 35-yard free-kick caught out Wood keeper James Russell and looped into the top corner.

Angol re-established Boreham Wood’s lead in the 16th minute, beating a defender and slotting past Carl Pentney. Matty Whichelow came close to adding a third but Pentney did well to deny the former Watford man.

Seven minutes before the break, Whichelow did beat Pentney, firing in off of City’s Mark Haines after being put through by Angol.

The Essex outfit pulled one back before half time when Callum Reynolds was adjudged to have fouled Mark Hughes. Christian Smith buried the penalty for Chelmsford.

Wood restored their two-goal advantage just before the hour mark, Whichelow adding a stylish second after beating Pentney from 20 yards with a top corner finish.

Chelmsford refused to roll over for Boreham Wood and with six minutes to play, Luke Callander headed home a Lock free kick to set Wood nerves jangling.

Hughes came close to grabbing a last-gasp leveller for Chelmsford but headed over, allowing Wood to hold out for the win.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree