Boreham Wood held at home to Basingstoke Town

Ian Allinson's side were held at home

Ian Allinson's side were held at home

First published in Sport

Boreham Wood had to settle for a 1-1 draw at home to Basingstoke Town on Monday night despite a dream start to the clash.

A dramatic opening to the contest saw the hosts take the lead after just 25 seconds.

A long ball was knocked down by Junior Morais and Graeme Montgomery struck a stunning left-footed shot into the net.

Wood could not have asked for a better start to the match but the visitors grew into the game after this setback.

Manager Ian Allinson handed a debut to striker Kudus Oyenuga following his arrival from Dundee United.

The 20-year-old made a decent impression and looked sharp when combining with the excellent Morais.

Basingstoke came close to grabbing an equaliser in the 19th minute when Louie Soares forced James Russell into a fine save.

Wood broke on the counter-attack but Montgomery’s cross-shot was comfortably saved by Louis Wells.

Basingstoke went close again through Shaun McAuley but Russell kept out his effort.

However, the away side’s pressure was rewarded when they grabbed an equaliser in the 27th minute through Matt Partridge’s header.

The hosts were grateful to Russell shortly afterwards when he made a superb save from Louie Soares’ free-kick.

Oyenuga almost scored on his Wood debut but the striker’s free-kick was well saved by Wells before half-time.

Russell was called into action again early in the second half when he saved an effort from defender Adam Green.

Allinson’s side were unlucky not to regain their lead when a Morais shot struck the post.

Partridge almost scored again for the visitors but his strike was superbly saved by Russell.

Keeper Wells only received a yellow card for handling the ball outside the area late on and Mario Noto could not find the target from his free-kick.

Allinson told the club website: “I thought it was a very tough game. We were pleased to come in at half time 1-1 because I felt we could easily have been two or three down. “In the second half we started to get organised and passed the ball better, we hit the post and they hit the crossbar. “In the end we had to settle for a draw, but I felt we could have nicked it.”

Boreham Wood were due to face Sutton last weekend but the match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The side face a busy week on the pitch with away games at Havant & Waterlooville tomorrow and Concord Rangers on Tuesday night.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree