Momentum is a wonderful thing - and after back-to-back victories lifted Boreham Wood into the top seven of the National League, defeat to bottom side Guiseley was not on Luke Garrard's agenda yesterday.

His Wood side were comprehensively beaten 3-1 by their hosts, with only three wins under their belt all season, as defensive errors proved the downfall in Leeds, but poor results in the top-half of the division kept them in their lofty position.

Robert Atkinson's header from a corner, two minutes after half-time, put them behind at Nethermoor Park, and within moments they were two down when Will Hatfield shot beyond Grant Smith.

Kenny Davis grabbed his second goal in as many games to halve the deficit with 20 minutes to play, but in-form Jake Cassidy sealed the win late on.

Garrard made two changes from Tuesday night's win over Sutton United, with Daniel Uchechi and Matt Paine in for Conor Clifford and Dave Stephens.

Anthony Jeffrey, so bright in midweek, picked up where he left off with a cross-cum-shot which nearly nestled in the back of the home net, before Jamie Lucas' shot was deflected into the arms of grateful Guiseley stopper Jonny Maxsted.

Ex-Leeds man Simon Walton nearly caught out Wood goalkeeper Grant Smith at the other end, but he was able to adjust his body to keep out his shot even after it had taken a bamboozling touch after a defender.

After the break, it was the hosts who clicked into gear; barely 90 seconds had gone when poor marking at a home corner allowed Atkinson a free header at the back post to open the scoring.

But if the first goal was bad, the second was calamitous. A free header from Ben Nunn back towards Smith, but angled it straight towards Cassidy. The former Wolves man has scored goals at a higher level than the National League and added to his bright early tally with Guiseley with a simple finish.

Rhys Murrell-Williamson replaced Uchechi and made an immediate impact, setting up Davis, who leapt highest at the far post to nod past Maxsted.

He almost turned provider to scorer minutes later but saw an effort whistle over the bar, before the hosts restored their two-goal advantage to kill any hope of a comeback.

Cassidy took advantage of a foray forward from Wood to catch the visitors on the break, and slot beyond Smith for a third.

A late Angelo Balanta effort threatened to set up a grandstand finish but it was as good as it got for Boreham Wood, who fell to a disappointing loss.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ilesanmi, Ricketts (Clifford), Paine, Devera, Davis, Balanta, Jeffrey, Uchechi (Williamson), Lucas.

Not used: Woodwards, Stephens, Boal.