It was the perfect week for Boreham Wood who returned back to Hertfordshire with all three points courtesy of goals from Kenny Davis from the penalty spot and Danny Woodards to seal an impressive 2-0 win at Macclesfield Town.

It was a faultless performance from Luke Garrard’s men, who remain undefeated away from home this season.

Following injuries to Joe Devera and Mark Ricketts, Garrard handed a first start of the season to Daniel Uchechi and recalled veteran Woodards in an unfamiliar centre-back role where he partnered Matt Paine.

Both sides started cautiously, playing out from the back and looking to retain the ball. It was Macclesfield that had the first sight on goal when Kingsley James picked the ball up 25 yards out and fired a shot which had the Wood stopper Grant Smith scrambling across his goal.

It was then Wood’s turn when a quickly taken short corner by Bruno Andrade saw him play a quick one-two with Conor Clifford before the tricky winger glided into the box, seeing his shot deflected with Scott Flinders making a good save to gather the ball at the second attempt.

Ollie Norburn then had to be replaced for Macclesfield after 22 minutes following a collision with a teammate which saw him stretchered off and replaced by Andy Halls.

The hosts had the next chance when a mis-hit clearance from Femi Ilesanmi fell nicely into the path of Danny Whitaker, who volleyed wide of Smith’s goal.

Macclesfield countered just before the break, James crossed to the back post for Whitaker, who took a touch, squaring for Danny Rowe who put his effort over.

Garrard had to make a change of his own at the interval, Adriano Moke coming on for Clifford, who took a knock in the closing stages of the first half.

Uchechi, who had looked lively on his first Wood start, won a free-kick on the by-line at the start of the second half and a perfect ball in from Andrade found the head of Woodards, who couldn’t quite get his effort on target.

Flinders had to make an unbelievable save to tip a Morgan Ferrier effort over the bar after the Wood striker found space on the edge of the Macclesfield box.

The chances kept coming for the visitors as Uchcechi picked the ball up in the middle of the park, swivelled and sent it out wide left to Ferrier and he cut the ball back to Balanta, who shot over.

Wood then got their deserved lead when a poor touch by David Fitzpatrick, who had only been on the field a matter of minutes, allowed Andrade to get in front and across the Macclesfield left-back, who proceeded to bring him down in the box. Davis made no mistake from the spot, sending Flinders the wrong way.

Macclesfield responded well to going a goal behind, seeing plenty of the ball and asking questions of the Wood defence which stood up to the task well.

After soaking up pressure from the home side Wood then put the game to bed. After winning a corner on the left, a whipped-in ball from Andrade found Woodards, who showed hunger and determination to get across his man and head beyond Flinders.

As the game headed into added-on time, a needless foul from Ilesanmi gave Macclesfield a chance to grab one back. A ball into the box from the right found James unmarked, but his header went straight into the arms of Smith.

The final action of the game saw Flinders once more deny Ferrier. The striker went on his own little mazy run, leaving defenders his is wake before his shot was pushed onto the post and out for a corner.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Uchechi (Kuhl), Paine, Davis, Andrade (Jeffrey), Ferrier, Ilesanmi, Clifford (Moke), Balanta, Woodards. Subs not used: Goodliffe, Lucas.