It was a bitterly disappointing afternoon for Boreham Wood at Meadow Park this afternoon as they went down 1-0 at home to a Wrexham side who had been struggling of late.

It was by far the worst performance of season from Luke Garrard’s men who never managed to get out of first gear.

That said, Wrexham looked a well-equipped side and took control of the opening period and had Wood camped inside their own half for the first 20 minutes before the home side started to make inroads into the game.

Garrard was forced into one change from the side that drew with Guiseley. Skipper Mark Ricketts was injured during the week, meaning a recall to the starting line-up for Bruno Andrade after only just returning form injury himself.

The visitors had the first chance when a free-kick deep into the Wood box from John Rooney found Sean Newton unmarked at the far post, but his header was well tipped over by Grant Smith.

Rooney, who had a busy first half, then had his strike from just outside the box pushed away after a nice build up by the visitors. A mix-up between Joe Devera and Kenny Davis allowed a Wrexham break which ended with Paul Rutherford’s shot being well saved by Smith. Wood’s first opportunity came when their two wide men combined well with Andrade playing in Anthony Jeffrey, who did well to get past his man. His cross into the box found Angelo Balanta, whose clever flick just flew over the bar.

Conor Clifford saw an effort off target after a neat interchange with Balanta, the closet Wood were to come in the opening 45 minutes. After a poor pass by Jeffrey allowed Wrexham an attack when Rooney played the ball into Jordan Evans who put his effort wide, Kai Edwards was the first player into the referee’s notebook after handling as Balanta headed towards goal. Andrade’s subsequent free-kick just evaded Devera, who would only have had the keeper to beat.

Paul Rutherford then almost put the Welsh side ahead, cutting in from the right and his effort was heading towards the far corner but Smith was equal to it, pushing the ball away to safety.

Shortly after though, it was Rooney who gave Wrexham the lead when a ball into the box was only half cleared and the Wrexham front man pounced to fire past Smith.

Femi Ilesanmi had a rare burst forward, going past his man into the box before his shot was well blocked as Wood sought to get back on terms.

However, Balanta should have levelled for the Wood when Andrade capitalised on a mistake from Rooney found and his teammate, but Shawn Jalal was out quickly to block the striker’s effort.

The game petered out with Wrexham shutting up shop, and Wood being unable to find a way through.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ricketts, Paine, Davis, Kuhl (Andrade), Jeffrey, Ilesanmi, Clifford, Balanta (Woodards), Devera. Subs not used: Uchechi, Mokes, Murrell-Williamson.

Wrexham: Jalal, Bencherif, Tilt, Rooney, Newton, Edwards, Carrington, Rutherford, R Evans, J Evans, Harvey. Subs not used: Barry, Powell, Harrad, McDonnagh, Marx.