Boreham Wood got back to winning ways at Meadow Park with a 2-0 victory over Torquay United on a day the club officially opened the Geoff Wickens scoreboard, with his friends and family all in attendance.

It was a five-minute spell in the first half which gave the Wood the three points as goals from Anthony Jeffrey and Morgan Ferrier sealed the win, although it could have been a much tougher afternoon for the hosts who never really got out of second gear all game had Nathan Blissett scored from the spot after Femi Ilesanmi was adjudged to have handled in the box. Grant Smith guessed right and palmed the spot-kick to safety.

Luke Garrard made one change to the side that drew 1-1 with Aldershot in the week. Ben Nunn came in for Danny Woodards, who dropped to the bench. There was also a recall to the squad for Adriano Moke.

It was Torquay who had first sight of goal. Jamie Reid flicked on for Blissett, who shot high and wide over Smith's crossbar.

Morgan Ferrier who once again terrorised the away defence all afternoon burst into the box, got beyond Aman Verma before seeing his shot well saved by Brendan Moore in the Torquay goal.

Then came the five-minute spell which effectively put the game to bed. Angelo Balanta, who once again impressed, took a superb touch and dinked a pin-point ball over the top of the defence, where Jeffrey with his pace got to the ball first and made no mistake, chipping the on-rushing Brendan Moore.

Moments later Ferrier continued his rich vein of form, scoring from an acute angle after some fantastic build-up play from the Wood to make it four in four for the Wood front man.

Balanta then almost made it three for the hosts. Ferrier was fouled a good 30 yards from goal. Balanta looked as though he was going to whip a ball into the box, but he opted to go for the top corner, forcing Moore to be alert and pull off a good save.

Balanta was at it again soon after, picking the ball up wide and waltzing past three defenders as though they weren't there before entering the box. He attempted to hit the top corner but didn't get the connection required to beat Moore.

But the game could have turned on its head in the 41st minute when a cross-field ball from Luke Young found Aman Verma, who headed into the arm of Ilesanmi. The Wood defender had no chance of moving his arm out of the way and harshly the assistant referee flagged for a penalty. Courtney Richards tried his best to put off Smith which backfired as the Wood keeper pulled off a fantastic save from Blissett.

Young had a shot from distance early in the second half which Smith did well to not only save but hold onto.

Torquay exerted a little pressure on the Wood defence which they handled with aplomb. Aman Verma headed wide from a Young corner and Nathan Blissett also shot wide on his left foot.

Referee Dean Trevenlan then adjudged skipper Mark Ricketts to have handled centrally 22 yards from goal. Dan Sparkes put his left-footed effort over the bar.

Just as the Wood looked to be having the perfect afternoon Ferrier pulled up with what looked like to a be groin injury. Garrard took no chances and replaced him immediately with Rhys Murrell-Williamson.

As the final whistle was approaching Murrell-Williamson had a great chance to get a debut goal. He started the move before coming in field to combine with Daniel Uchechi and Balanta before his weak effort was easily saved.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ilesanmi, Paine, Devera, Jeffrey (Uchechi), Ricketts, Paine, Clifford, Balanta, Ferrier (Murrell-Wiliamson). Subs not used: Woodards, Kuhl, Moke.