Boreham Wood boost survival hopes with five-star win over Dorchester Town

Boreham Wood were rampant against Dorchester Town: John MacDonald-Fulton

Boreham Wood were rampant against Dorchester Town: John MacDonald-Fulton

First published in Sport

Boreham Wood boosted their survival hopes after thrashing bottom of the Conference South Dorchester Town 5-0.

Ian Allinson’s men moved up to 15th in the table and three points clear of the bottom three after their biggest home win of the season.

The Wood boss told the club website: “We worked hard in training on certain things and they came to fruition.

“The first goal took a while in coming and I told AJ [Anthony Jeffrey after the game he could actually have come off with five goals to his name had he taken all his chances.

“I thought Callum Reynolds was outstanding. We missed him for ten weeks of this season due to injury and the statistics bear witness to his importance to the side.

“I was also pleased with the way Matty Whichelow took his chance in the side. He has had a tough campaign hampered by injury and has struggled to retain his place. This win will do no harm to our confidence.”

Wood dominated the contest but had to wait until shortly before the interval to get a deserved breakthrough.

Jeffrey was unlucky not score the opener after 15 minutes when his header cannoned off the crossbar.

The hosts continued to pepper the goal but were denied by the woodwork once more when Arsenal loanee Jeffrey fired a shot against the post.

Visiting goalkeeper Alan Walker-Harris was being kept very busy and he managed to save from Graeme Montgomery and Jeffrey before Austin Lipman managed to miss the target from 30 yards with the goal unguarded.

The home side’s persistence was finally rewarded before the break when Jeffrey slid the ball into the net from close range.

Allinson’s side extended their lead shortly after the restart when Montgomery’s excellent pass set up Reynolds for the finish.

Wood did not hang about and immediately added another goal from the kick-off. Lipman sent in a cross which was only cleared as far as former Watford attacker Whichelow who drilled in their third of the match.

It was 4-0 after 79 minutes when Lipman struck a superb free-kick past keeper Walker-Harris.

The hosts rounded off the scoring when substitute Matthew Ball’s strike deflected off Reynolds and into the net.

Wood’s home game with Havant & Waterlooville was postponed on Monday night after a pitch inspection by the referee.

Allinson’s side make the short journey to struggling rivals Maidenhead United on Saturday. 


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree