Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting BOREHAMWOOD to 80360, or email us
Man receives suspended sentence for Samurai sword threat
10:58am Monday 29th March 2010 in News
A MAN who armed himself with a Samurai sword and shouted he would “slice up” a group of rowing women in Borehamwood received a suspended sentence with 100 hours community service on Friday.
Harry James, 24, armed himself with a Samurai sword when he was disturbed by the argument going on outside his block of flats in Aycliffe Road last October.
He came out with the sword, which was still in its scabbard, and shouted: "I will kill the lot of you. I will slice you up." St Albans Crown Court heard on Friday.
Prosecutor Isabel Delamare said that the police were called and James was "intoxicated."
His flat was searched and two more Samurai swords were found in a display cabinet.
James, now of Cannon Lane, Stopsley, Luton, appeared for sentence having pleaded guilty to committing a Section 4 public order offence on the night of October 17, last year.
He had previous convictions, including one for robbery.
Defence barrister Alisdair Smith said James had made progress since moving to Luton with his partner and their son.
He said he had responded positively to an alcohol programme run by the James Kingham Project.
Judge Andrew Bright QC told James: "I have read a report which says you may have turned the corner. Drink is obviously an underlying problem."
He passed a 12-week jail sentence suspended for 18 months and ordered James to carry out 100 hours unpaid work. He must abide by an electronically-monitored curfew for three months between 8pm and 7am and pay £500 costs.
The judge ordered the forfeiture of the sword.