Pressure is mounting as councillors and passengers fight against bus cuts.
Hertfordshire County Council has released a consultation regarding the future of 32 bus services across the county, which could see reductions in services that run after 6.30pm on weekdays and on Sundays.
A petition, launched by Labour councillors Leon Reefe and Richard Butler, has now reached more than 350 signatures as pressure mounts against the consultation.
Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, Liberal Democrat group leader at the county council, has called on the authority to suspend the consultation so an accurate estimate of the impact on the public can be assessed.
In a statement earlier this week, the Liberal Democrats claimed bank holiday services will also be included in the cuts.
However, the county council has confirmed that 'Sunday services' means services that run on a Sunday and that services on bank holidays would not be affected by the proposed Sunday changes.
Residents association member Lawrence Stack was also angry with the cuts. He said: “All it seems to be at the moment is cuts, cuts, cuts - first the waste consultation and now the buses. They haven’t given us enough information so I’m making sure I found it out and let people know so we can get more people to give their views.”
Mr Stack has asked the council to ensure paper copies of the consultation document will be available across Borehamwood, and can be picked up from the civic offices, Fairway community centre, the library and Leeming Road’s community shop.
Cllr Terry Douris, cabinet member for highways, said: “No decisions have been made yet on how to make this saving and we want your views on our proposed ideas. It’s really important to us that we hear from as many residents as possible – whether you are a regular bus user or not – so we can make informed decisions.”
To take part in the online consultation before it ends on October 8, visit the county council website.