Plans to redevelop The Crown pub in Borehamwood are to be unveiled in public consultation

Borehamwood Times: The Crwon Pub, which dates back to 1908, could be demolished to make way for new shops and homes The Crwon Pub, which dates back to 1908, could be demolished to make way for new shops and homes

Plans to demolish a Borehamwood pub are being presented in a public consultation next week.

Members of the public can attend a public consultation event to give their views on plans to redevelop The Crown Pub on Shenley Road, Borehamwood.

The pub, which has been serving the people of Borehamwood for more than 100 years, could be bulldozed to make way for new shops and homes.

Woodhall Land has applied to Hertsmere Borough Council for planning permission to demolish and redevelop The Crown Pub, which dates back to 1908.

The plans will be unveiled at a public consultation on Monday, May 12, where a member of the project team will be available to explain the plans and answer questions.

As part of the new plans a four-storey building will replace the pub, with commercial space on the ground floor and 11 two-bedroom flats.

The coach house at the back of the site will be transformed into two two-bedroom houses, while a car park with 15 spaces and 12 bicycle spaces will also be built and access routes altered.

Developers believe the site could house up to fifty people.

A planning officer will also be present at the consultation ensure members are not placed in prejudicial positions.

The consultation will take place at Allum Hall and Manor, Allum Lane, on Monday, May 12 between 5pm and 9pm.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:48pm Tue 6 May 14

siskin03 says...

Is the councilor that deals with planning connected to Woodhall land, seems a conflict of interest there, or a case of greasing palms!
Is the councilor that deals with planning connected to Woodhall land, seems a conflict of interest there, or a case of greasing palms! siskin03
  • Score: 9

10:52pm Tue 6 May 14

watfordman says...

more rubbish developments backed by hertsmere council . . more flats . empty shops over development. hbc are turning bwood into a housing/commuter ghetto. pub dates back years now developers want more housing. call this progress. lol. this is the council that allowed the demolition of the brilliant thatched barn hotel. idiots,
more rubbish developments backed by hertsmere council . . more flats . empty shops over development. hbc are turning bwood into a housing/commuter ghetto. pub dates back years now developers want more housing. call this progress. lol. this is the council that allowed the demolition of the brilliant thatched barn hotel. idiots, watfordman
  • Score: 35

7:26am Wed 7 May 14

david Burcombe says...

It would be better as a community theatre as the convenience to the station would be a great advantage to the area
It would be better as a community theatre as the convenience to the station would be a great advantage to the area david Burcombe
  • Score: 27

10:41am Wed 7 May 14

jgee says...

siskin03 wrote:
Is the councilor that deals with planning connected to Woodhall land, seems a conflict of interest there, or a case of greasing palms!
Not sure which councillor you are referring to here

Wood Hall Land is owned by Andrew and Wendy Cohen according to the Directors register.

If you are thinking that is a relation of Harvey Cohen - it's like saying Will Smith is related to John Smith - Cohen is a very popular Jewish name - and most are not related - except if you want to trace all the way back to Aaron and Moses from the bible
[quote][p][bold]siskin03[/bold] wrote: Is the councilor that deals with planning connected to Woodhall land, seems a conflict of interest there, or a case of greasing palms![/p][/quote]Not sure which councillor you are referring to here Wood Hall Land is owned by Andrew and Wendy Cohen according to the Directors register. If you are thinking that is a relation of Harvey Cohen - it's like saying Will Smith is related to John Smith - Cohen is a very popular Jewish name - and most are not related - except if you want to trace all the way back to Aaron and Moses from the bible jgee
  • Score: -5

2:38pm Wed 7 May 14

cpmorrison82 says...

Another sad indictment of how Borehamwood is becoming.

How on earth is this really necessary when approximately 900 homes are to be built along Elstree Way?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the area to have the site converted to a restaurant/gastro pub or a supermarket that would serve those arriving and leaving the station?

Nothing more depressing than seeing an identikit block of units with the usual empty shop units immediately beneath. Who will be attracted to these units in the first instance? They're are only there normally as an afterthought to push through Planning Permission!!
Another sad indictment of how Borehamwood is becoming. How on earth is this really necessary when approximately 900 homes are to be built along Elstree Way? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the area to have the site converted to a restaurant/gastro pub or a supermarket that would serve those arriving and leaving the station? Nothing more depressing than seeing an identikit block of units with the usual empty shop units immediately beneath. Who will be attracted to these units in the first instance? They're are only there normally as an afterthought to push through Planning Permission!! cpmorrison82
  • Score: 21

2:00am Thu 8 May 14

Suzy-Sue says...

As far as i know The Crown and its developments are, and will be, all privately owned and not council owned. And i suspect the public are being consulted regarding the planning permission aspects on 12/5 as it's a big project and probably due to the uproar by the local community over the other local developments. Any private housing developments are in addition to any council agreed ones.
As far as i know The Crown and its developments are, and will be, all privately owned and not council owned. And i suspect the public are being consulted regarding the planning permission aspects on 12/5 as it's a big project and probably due to the uproar by the local community over the other local developments. Any private housing developments are in addition to any council agreed ones. Suzy-Sue
  • Score: -10

2:03am Thu 8 May 14

Suzy-Sue says...

Just one more point to add to my above comments. It's the infrastucture issues we should be concentrating on i.e. the LACK of them. Our roads and roundabouts are already gridlocked!!!
Just one more point to add to my above comments. It's the infrastucture issues we should be concentrating on i.e. the LACK of them. Our roads and roundabouts are already gridlocked!!! Suzy-Sue
  • Score: -9

10:42am Fri 9 May 14

kelvin says...

I agree with Dave Burcombe, a new Theatre called 'THE CROWN THEATRE' would be a great idea,that way the big old pub building would be saved from another horrible bland and unwanted development.
I agree with Dave Burcombe, a new Theatre called 'THE CROWN THEATRE' would be a great idea,that way the big old pub building would be saved from another horrible bland and unwanted development. kelvin
  • Score: 22

12:09pm Sat 10 May 14

siskin03 says...

Regarding jgee replie I think you will find they are infact connected the Council's planning Officer is the Brother in law of the developer.
Regarding jgee replie I think you will find they are infact connected the Council's planning Officer is the Brother in law of the developer. siskin03
  • Score: 8

1:48pm Sat 10 May 14

Believe in better says...

Is Siskin03 accusing the Planning portfolio holder of corruption? I wonder if h found himself in the same position as Councillor Cohen would he declare a conflict of interest? And does he know for sure that Councillor Cohen hasn't? if indeed his observation regarding the link is correct.

The bottom line is the Crown site is privately owned it doesn't matter who owns it, it does not belong to the Council. Unless there is a legal reason why the land owner cannot develop the land in accordance with current law, just because people want something else built there does not mean the land owner has to comply. The planning department cannot block the application on the basis that the community object to a retail unit and housing in an area of the town that already supports retail units and housing.
So the sooner everyone moves on with regards to the the Ark Theatre being built there the better, lets concentrate on what can be done, not what cannot be done.
Is Siskin03 accusing the Planning portfolio holder of corruption? I wonder if h found himself in the same position as Councillor Cohen would he declare a conflict of interest? And does he know for sure that Councillor Cohen hasn't? if indeed his observation regarding the link is correct. The bottom line is the Crown site is privately owned it doesn't matter who owns it, it does not belong to the Council. Unless there is a legal reason why the land owner cannot develop the land in accordance with current law, just because people want something else built there does not mean the land owner has to comply. The planning department cannot block the application on the basis that the community object to a retail unit and housing in an area of the town that already supports retail units and housing. So the sooner everyone moves on with regards to the the Ark Theatre being built there the better, lets concentrate on what can be done, not what cannot be done. Believe in better
  • Score: -15

3:55pm Sat 10 May 14

Frank Ward says...

The comments of David Burcombe in proposing that this site be utilised for the building of a replacement Ark Theatre may appeal to those who still believe in the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas.
However,back in the world of reality the question of funding has evidently never been considered as this would destroy his fantasy.
This is a site owned by others and with added cost of building we are talking about millions of pounds.
While I subscribe to the common view that Boreham Wood as the capital of Hertsmere should have its own centre of entertainment similar to Radlett and Potters Bar, the preparation of a business plan would reveal this would not be financially viable unless Hertsmere Borough Council having funded the of acquisition of the site and the costs building then agreed to subsidise this annually for an indeterminate period?
The only way to fund a replacement theatre is by public subscription and then to request that Hertsmere Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council and Elstree and Boreham Wood Town Council then make match-funding contributions including the sharing of the annual costs.
This was the means used by the public in 1952 which resulted in the original building of the Three Ways Community Centre in the years that followed.

Frank Ward
Chairman
Hertsmere UKIP
The comments of David Burcombe in proposing that this site be utilised for the building of a replacement Ark Theatre may appeal to those who still believe in the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas. However,back in the world of reality the question of funding has evidently never been considered as this would destroy his fantasy. This is a site owned by others and with added cost of building we are talking about millions of pounds. While I subscribe to the common view that Boreham Wood as the capital of Hertsmere should have its own centre of entertainment similar to Radlett and Potters Bar, the preparation of a business plan would reveal this would not be financially viable unless Hertsmere Borough Council having funded the of acquisition of the site and the costs building then agreed to subsidise this annually for an indeterminate period? The only way to fund a replacement theatre is by public subscription and then to request that Hertsmere Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council and Elstree and Boreham Wood Town Council then make match-funding contributions including the sharing of the annual costs. This was the means used by the public in 1952 which resulted in the original building of the Three Ways Community Centre in the years that followed. Frank Ward Chairman Hertsmere UKIP Frank Ward
  • Score: 9

6:31pm Sat 10 May 14

Reader (R) says...

Lets get some points clear here; Is the implication here that Harvey Cohen is related to one of the directors of the property company?

Should this be the case then a whole new can of worms has been opened up. An application was made to have the Crown listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) and that application succeeded. The property developers then appealed that listing and the Crown was delisted and the ACV removed. While the ACV remained in force the developer could not develop the site for 5 years.

The person who heard and adjudicated on that appeal was none other than Harvey Cohen (alleged brother in law of the developer.
Lets get some points clear here; Is the implication here that Harvey Cohen is related to one of the directors of the property company? Should this be the case then a whole new can of worms has been opened up. An application was made to have the Crown listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) and that application succeeded. The property developers then appealed that listing and the Crown was delisted and the ACV removed. While the ACV remained in force the developer could not develop the site for 5 years. The person who heard and adjudicated on that appeal was none other than Harvey Cohen (alleged brother in law of the developer. Reader (R)
  • Score: 16

11:00pm Sat 10 May 14

Believe in better says...

The reason the Crown was delisted, was because no one in the community came forward and offered to fund it as a community asset.. Once an ACV is established, there is a finite length of time for a community group to come forward with a viable proposition. There wasn't a single request from any community group and the application expired.

I have made enquiries this afternoon and Harvey Cohen is not related to the developers so perhaps Siskin03 should get their facts right before trying to stir up public opinion.
The reason the Crown was delisted, was because no one in the community came forward and offered to fund it as a community asset.. Once an ACV is established, there is a finite length of time for a community group to come forward with a viable proposition. There wasn't a single request from any community group and the application expired. I have made enquiries this afternoon and Harvey Cohen is not related to the developers so perhaps Siskin03 should get their facts right before trying to stir up public opinion. Believe in better
  • Score: -14

9:34am Sun 11 May 14

EP Herts says...

Why are all the houses in Hertsmere being built in Borehamwood. Housing for 50 people and parking for 15? Someone needs to go on a maths course.

Borehamwood used to be a nice village, now it has become an overcrowded town. Why are these people allowed to ruin our home maybe Hertsmere planners should build something where they live for a change.

Lost the college, losing half Hertsmere in a land grab! Careful, If you let the grass grow in your back garden they will probably build a block of flats in it, just like Milton Drive.

The junction at the Crown is dangerous enough, still waiting for the promised improvement to this. What happened to the traffic lights to replace the death trap roundabout? Are they waiting for someone to be killed before they sort it out?

Remember Hertsmere "Elections are next week"
Why are all the houses in Hertsmere being built in Borehamwood. Housing for 50 people and parking for 15? Someone needs to go on a maths course. Borehamwood used to be a nice village, now it has become an overcrowded town. Why are these people allowed to ruin our home maybe Hertsmere planners should build something where they live for a change. Lost the college, losing half Hertsmere in a land grab! Careful, If you let the grass grow in your back garden they will probably build a block of flats in it, just like Milton Drive. The junction at the Crown is dangerous enough, still waiting for the promised improvement to this. What happened to the traffic lights to replace the death trap roundabout? Are they waiting for someone to be killed before they sort it out? Remember Hertsmere "Elections are next week" EP Herts
  • Score: 16

10:55am Sun 11 May 14

Frank Ward says...

A conveniently fabricated witch-hunt with mooted allegations of wrongdoing against Councillor Harvey Cohen by on-line subscribers hiding behind pseudonymous and non-de plums and who may even be members of the Labour Party, is no substitute for a proper sensible debated on the future topographic and demographic amendments to our community?
There would be no question of Councillor Cohen even being present in the committee room where any matters related to this planning application would be discussed and even less possibility of taking part in voting on being either a relative or friend of any person who is part of the Developer's team.
Members of Hertsmere Borough Council are required by law to declare a conflict of interest prior to participating in any business where they may have a pecuniary interest and in the twenty five years I was a member of that Council I fail to recall any such malpractice.
A conflict of interest of elected members of any Council on being breached either for personal gain or even of reasons of nepotism on being proven initially by internal investigation would require by law to be referred to the police which may rapidly translate in becoming an indictable criminal offence
Let the talented and constructive contributions being made on-line every week be focused to concentrate on finding solutions of merit which the Council may then consider with equal commitment, and be less demanding that they spend money they don't have thanks to a 45% reduction in grants from their government in Westminster.
Frank Ward
Chairman
Hertsmere UKIP
A conveniently fabricated witch-hunt with mooted allegations of wrongdoing against Councillor Harvey Cohen by on-line subscribers hiding behind pseudonymous and non-de plums and who may even be members of the Labour Party, is no substitute for a proper sensible debated on the future topographic and demographic amendments to our community? There would be no question of Councillor Cohen even being present in the committee room where any matters related to this planning application would be discussed and even less possibility of taking part in voting on being either a relative or friend of any person who is part of the Developer's team. Members of Hertsmere Borough Council are required by law to declare a conflict of interest prior to participating in any business where they may have a pecuniary interest and in the twenty five years I was a member of that Council I fail to recall any such malpractice. A conflict of interest of elected members of any Council on being breached either for personal gain or even of reasons of nepotism on being proven initially by internal investigation would require by law to be referred to the police which may rapidly translate in becoming an indictable criminal offence Let the talented and constructive contributions being made on-line every week be focused to concentrate on finding solutions of merit which the Council may then consider with equal commitment, and be less demanding that they spend money they don't have thanks to a 45% reduction in grants from their government in Westminster. Frank Ward Chairman Hertsmere UKIP Frank Ward
  • Score: 8

7:54am Mon 12 May 14

Reader (R) says...

"A conveniently fabricated witch-hunt with mooted allegations of wrongdoing against Councillor Harvey Cohen by on-line subscribers hiding behind pseudonymous and non-de plums and who may even be members of the Labour Party"

Frank I could post under the name of Peregrine Fortescue - Smythe or Perry Smith and you would be none the wiser so what is your point?
"A conveniently fabricated witch-hunt with mooted allegations of wrongdoing against Councillor Harvey Cohen by on-line subscribers hiding behind pseudonymous and non-de plums and who may even be members of the Labour Party" Frank I could post under the name of Peregrine Fortescue - Smythe or Perry Smith and you would be none the wiser so what is your point? Reader (R)
  • Score: -3

8:44am Mon 12 May 14

chelseaboy says...

once again the town of my youth is showing by example it does not want to have any semblance of any kind of history - a very sad attitude
once again the town of my youth is showing by example it does not want to have any semblance of any kind of history - a very sad attitude chelseaboy
  • Score: 11

10:58am Mon 12 May 14

watfordman says...

tories out of hertsmere sack clappison
tories out of hertsmere sack clappison watfordman
  • Score: 12

11:51am Mon 12 May 14

Suzy-Sue says...

The Crown pub site is privately owned and will be privately developed. It's nothing to do with the government or James clappison mp.
The Crown pub site is privately owned and will be privately developed. It's nothing to do with the government or James clappison mp. Suzy-Sue
  • Score: -13

2:05pm Mon 12 May 14

Believe in better says...

chelseaboy wrote:
once again the town of my youth is showing by example it does not want to have any semblance of any kind of history - a very sad attitude
Almost as sad as all the people on here who have chosen to live somewhere else, but still think they have the right to an opinion on the development and growth of our town. We have plenty of history thank you very much and we are very proud of it, but those of us who have chosen to live in Borehamwood are fed up with ex-residents and their need to make negative comments about the current and future development of our town.
[quote][p][bold]chelseaboy[/bold] wrote: once again the town of my youth is showing by example it does not want to have any semblance of any kind of history - a very sad attitude[/p][/quote]Almost as sad as all the people on here who have chosen to live somewhere else, but still think they have the right to an opinion on the development and growth of our town. We have plenty of history thank you very much and we are very proud of it, but those of us who have chosen to live in Borehamwood are fed up with ex-residents and their need to make negative comments about the current and future development of our town. Believe in better
  • Score: -13

9:03am Wed 14 May 14

Reader (R) says...

Believe in better wrote:
The reason the Crown was delisted, was because no one in the community came forward and offered to fund it as a community asset.. Once an ACV is established, there is a finite length of time for a community group to come forward with a viable proposition. There wasn't a single request from any community group and the application expired.

I have made enquiries this afternoon and Harvey Cohen is not related to the developers so perhaps Siskin03 should get their facts right before trying to stir up public opinion.
Once a listing has been approved there is a six month moratorium period in which a community group can be formed and prepare a bid. This period was CUT SHORT by two months when the review led by Harvey Cohen removed the ACV.
[quote][p][bold]Believe in better[/bold] wrote: The reason the Crown was delisted, was because no one in the community came forward and offered to fund it as a community asset.. Once an ACV is established, there is a finite length of time for a community group to come forward with a viable proposition. There wasn't a single request from any community group and the application expired. I have made enquiries this afternoon and Harvey Cohen is not related to the developers so perhaps Siskin03 should get their facts right before trying to stir up public opinion.[/p][/quote]Once a listing has been approved there is a six month moratorium period in which a community group can be formed and prepare a bid. This period was CUT SHORT by two months when the review led by Harvey Cohen removed the ACV. Reader (R)
  • Score: -6

8:50pm Wed 14 May 14

harveycohen says...

Could all those who have payed the defamatory comments that I am related to the developer , & by implication have influenced this application please provide evidence or remove their allegations. As far as I am aware, I have never met the owner of the crown and am not related
Could all those who have payed the defamatory comments that I am related to the developer , & by implication have influenced this application please provide evidence or remove their allegations. As far as I am aware, I have never met the owner of the crown and am not related harveycohen
  • Score: -4

9:01pm Wed 14 May 14

harveycohen says...

Could all those who have made the defamatory comments that I am related to the developer , & by implication have influenced this application please provide evidence or remove their allegations. As far as I am aware, I have never met the owner of the crown and am not related
Could all those who have made the defamatory comments that I am related to the developer , & by implication have influenced this application please provide evidence or remove their allegations. As far as I am aware, I have never met the owner of the crown and am not related harveycohen
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree