Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting BOREHAMWOOD to 80360, or email us
Baby in mouldy Affinity Sutton flat in Borehamwood rushed to Barnet General Hospital with bronchitis
A mum living in a mouldy flat said her “worst nightmare came true” after she woke up to find her ten-month-old barely breathing.
Chelsie Lankston, of Thirsk Road, Borehamwood, noticed her son Terry’s breathing was getting shallower as he slept in their mouldy and damp bedroom last night.
The 24-year-old and her partner, Daniel Mason, rushed the infant to hospital where he was diagnosed with bronchitis and given an oxygen mask.
The couple have been fighting housing association Affinity Sutton to clear up the mould because their son was constantly struck down with breathing difficulties.
Miss Lankston, a mum-of-three, said: “He was really unwell, lethargic and had a high temperature. I put him to bed but stayed in the room to check on him.
“At first he was breathing fast and making a panting sound but then it went from that to breathing slowly – you could barely hear he was breathing at all.
“It was my worst nightmare and it came true. I was panicking and screaming so we rushed him to hospital.
“The doctor actually told me this type of bronchitis could be caused by living in mouldy and damp conditions. I just could not believe it.”
The full-time mum said her son also suffers from asthma and is constantly on antibiotics for respiratory tract infections – but bronchitis is the last straw.
She previously told the Borehamwood Times that she has nightmares about waking up to find her son not breathing.
She is now forced to sleep in the lounge with Terry to avoid him being exposed to even more mould that could have a lasting effect on his health.
A representative from the housing association visited the family on Tuesday to help them come to a lasting solution, and results of a mould test carried out are still pending.
The Borehamwood Times is awaiting comment from Affinity Sutton.