Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting BOREHAMWOOD to 80360, or email us
Exclusive recipe from MasterChef winner
7:10am Wednesday 21st March 2012 in Freetime
Shelina Permalloo won the coveted Masterchef title last week for her flawless combination of exotic flavours, inspired by the Mauritian cooking she learned from her mother.
To celebrate the launch of South London's new food website the chef, who lives in Tooting, exclusively shared her recipe for Mango Crème Brûlée with Food readers.
Mango Crème Brûlée
2 Alphonso Mangoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
50g of Alphonso mango puree
500ml/18fl oz double cream
1 vanilla pod
6 cardamom pods
75g/4oz caster sugar (plus extra for the topping)
6 free-range egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan.
- Add the vanilla and cardamom pods.
- Bring the cream to boiling point, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a large heatproof bowl until fluffy.
- Bring the cream back to boiling point, remove the vanilla and cardamom pods. Pour it over the egg mixture, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug, and stir in the 50g of mango puree.
- Fill the six ramekins with a layer of cubed mango on the bottom, then fill them to about two-thirds full with the mixture.
- Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up their outsides. (a bain-marie)
- Place the bain-marie onto the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the custards are just set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle one level teaspoon of caster sugar evenly over the surface of each crème brûlée, then caramelise with a chefs' blowtorch.
- Add the rest of the cubed mango on top to serve.
Shelina will be next appearing at the launch of the new BBC Good Food Show Spring at Glow, Bluewater, in Kent from 12th-15th April. Visit BBCGoodFoodShow.com or GlowBluewater.co.uk